HOW MUCH IS MY TRUCK WORTH ? May be For Sale REAL SOON !

Yinzer

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAwmak

1985 720 Ext Cab 4x4, 5 Speed, 195k miles. Body is very good condition. Seats good condition. Carpet needs washed.

4x4 Works Great, Shifts great, brakes, suspension good shape.

Brand New 30" Mudders

Bunch new parts.... Carb, Starter, Alternator. Battery, Fuel Pump, Cap, Rotor, WIres, Plugs, Both Coils and an Ignition Switch.

NOT Running currently. I replaced the ICM because it had issues restarting when warm. After I replaced it it ran GREAT for awhile and now it just won't start. LOST SPARK somehow, somewhere.

20230318_172104_52755453832_o.jpg

20230318_172227_52755995606_o.jpg

20230318_172324_52756481008_o.jpg

20230318_172407_52756240299_o.jpg

20230318_172536_52756407880_o.jpg

20230318_172652_52756478693_o.jpg

20230318_172552_52755993851_o.jpg

20230306_084232_52735297799_o.jpg

20230312_103346_52742025957_o.jpg

Edited by Yinzer
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Just venturing a guess here.

Not running - $2500

Running and driving - $5000

yeah that's about right on the money in my area. you can't make a poor quality shell that straight and paint it for that much here, but you also could likely find a driveline for less than 2500 that runs. 

i paid under a grand for mine, delivered, not running. 2wd tho. 

I picked up an 84 regular cab 4x4 running, for about 2500 haggled down from 3000. Came with a couple parts. Brake lines, wipers, nothing special. It has a custom built flatbed so any collector value was pretty much gone. Even with the regular bed most people won’t pay much for this kind of truck especially if they aren’t a Nissan/Datsun enthusiast.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Yinzer said:

That's about what I was thinking as well.

This South Alabama truck. 

There is an entire art based on selling a vehicle.

First thing, it has to present well. Take some time and clean it up. If it looks crappy in pics, it won't attract any attention.

Second thing - "all it needs is". That phrase bothers the shit out of me. If all it needs is so simple, do that, and raise the price. Why sell it for less when an afternoon of work will bring in much more.

Years ago, I found that the etymology of the word "marketing" had its roots in magic or trickery. Marketing a vehicle for sale is all about making someone want it. That's the magic. But it doesn't mean you should swindle them either. Sell good stuff, and you'll get a reputation as someone who sells good stuff.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

There is an entire art based on selling a vehicle.

First thing, it has to present well. Take some time and clean it up. If it looks crappy in pics, it won't attract any attention.

Second thing - "all it needs is". That phrase bothers the shit out of me. If all it needs is so simple, do that, and raise the price. Why sell it for less when an afternoon of work will bring in much more.

Years ago, I found that the etymology of the word "marketing" had its roots in magic or trickery. Marketing a vehicle for sale is all about making someone want it. That's the magic. But it doesn't mean you should swindle them either. Sell good stuff, and you'll get a reputation as someone who sells good stuff.

I absolutely agree.

I've owned over 100 vehicles in the past 45 years. DId a LOT of wheelin n dealing through the days. Used flip cars. Made a lot of $$ until one bad deal got burned bad on and my wife said.... NO MORE ! Lol ! I'd rather keep her than deal with all the BS. :>)

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Yinzer said:

I absolutely agree.

I've owned over 100 vehicles in the past 45 years. DId a LOT of wheelin n dealing through the days. Used flip cars. Made a lot of $$ until one bad deal got burned bad on and my wife said.... NO MORE ! Lol ! I'd rather keep her than deal with all the BS. :>)

I know what you're talking about. I've had deals where I thought I was going to get mugged, deals where as soon as the guy left, I ran into town to spend a couple hundred to make sure they're real. Scary shit happens around cash.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I know what you're talking about. I've had deals where I thought I was going to get mugged, deals where as soon as the guy left, I ran into town to spend a couple hundred to make sure they're real. Scary shit happens around cash.

Yea, and Titles. I sold a guy a car and he failed to get it Titled in his name. 6 weeks went by and he wrecked the car and abandoned it in next town over. Well, the Po-Po came looking for ME cause it was still in my name. I showed them the Bill of Sale but I was still responsible for paying to get the car removed and disposed of. Never heard from the guy again.

• Like 1

That sucks.

I had a similar story last year. About six years ago I bought a 1957 Chevy pickup. It didn't run and was not complete, so obviously a future project. I don't always transfer title on a vehicle that I won't get to for a while, so I let it chill on the side of the shop. About this time last year, I get a PM on instagram from some guy who saw a pic I posted of the truck and asked if it was mine. Not really thinking, I said yeah, and told him the story of how I got it. He then tells me that it was his dad's truck and the guy I bought it from wasn't supposed to sell it. I guess it was on pawn or something. I immediately called my registration guy and told him to run the VIN. He said they came up clean, so I sent him my paperwork to get it transferred. He calls a day later and says, no can do. It's been registered to this other dude with a lost title form. I then PMd the dude and asked what gives? Long story short, I told him I'd burn the truck to the ground before I let him take it from me. I did end up getting the title from him, but not until I hired a private investigator to help, and then I turned right around and sold the truck. Bad mojo and all.

So now I transfer all my vehicles right away. I'm not going to let that happen again.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

That sucks.

I had a similar story last year. About six years ago I bought a 1957 Chevy pickup. It didn't run and was not complete, so obviously a future project. I don't always transfer title on a vehicle that I won't get to for a while, so I let it chill on the side of the shop. About this time last year, I get a PM on instagram from some guy who saw a pic I posted of the truck and asked if it was mine. Not really thinking, I said yeah, and told him the story of how I got it. He then tells me that it was his dad's truck and the guy I bought it from wasn't supposed to sell it. I guess it was on pawn or something. I immediately called my registration guy and told him to run the VIN. He said they came up clean, so I sent him my paperwork to get it transferred. He calls a day later and says, no can do. It's been registered to this other dude with a lost title form. I then PMd the dude and asked what gives? Long story short, I told him I'd burn the truck to the ground before I let him take it from me. I did end up getting the title from him, but not until I hired a private investigator to help, and then I turned right around and sold the truck. Bad mojo and all.

So now I transfer all my vehicles right away. I'm not going to let that happen again.

Dang.... Lot of shady people out there.

Here in Alabama the State does NOT require a Title if a vehicle is 35 (Maybe 30... ??) Years old or older. Talk about a recipe for FRAUD ! Makes me wonder how many STOLEN vehicles 35 years and older are sold. So many folks on MarketPlace "trying" to sell vehicles < 35 years old WITHOUT Titles.

• Like 1

Yup, gonna do that ASAP.

This truck sat in a barn for 10 years. PO did a lot of rewiring. Actually did a good quality job. Most likely from rodent damage. 

I need schematics. I need to see the wiring for the ignition circuit. Can find my Haynes manual for this truck.

9 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Check the grounds. Or look for mice chewn wires.

Ok, I bought new ground cables and battery terminals. Made new ground from - Battery to engine bay side. Then another new cable to the engine block. Kept original block ground so now there are two.

Tried to start engine. NO change. Maybe a bit stronger for the starter. IDK.....

DId the jumpers from the + Side coil --> + Post of Battery and - Side coil --> - Side Post of Battery. This was using the Intake Coil.

Tried to start engine. NO Spark.

???

• Like 1

Uhhh, no. Take the ground off the coil negative terminal. It will never spark doing that. Instead ground the distributor body. Loosen one of the mounting bolts, wrap the bare wire around it an tighten it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
9 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Uhhh, no. Take the ground off the coil negative terminal. It will never spark doing that. Instead ground the distributor body. Loosen one of the mounting bolts, wrap the bare wire around it an tighten it.

Doh! The coil was hot when I took the wires off.... Did I damage it or the ICM ??