Fix your blown out holes with this one easy trick!- Tail light socket repair kit

Draker

Now that I've clicked baited you..

Over the last year I've been working on and off to make repair kit for aging, damaged, chipped and blown out tail light sockets which are commonly found in our cars. The goal was to build a kit, easy to install, without the need to disassemble the light. These are 3d printed out of PETG filament which is heat resistant to about 185f (85c).

Example blow-outs:

IMG_4205.jpeg
IMG_4194.jpeg
IMG_4195.jpeg

This kit is a 3 piece design. The inner threaded ring, the spacer, and the socket itself. The inner threaded ring is designed to be cut and modified to fit the internal dimensions.

IMG_4207.jpeg
IMG_4206.jpeg

IMG_4191.jpeg
IMG_4192.jpeg

The threaded ring is designed to fit in the two opposed notches in the socket, then can be rotated so the threads are pointed outwards.

IMG_4208.jpeg
IMG_4209.jpeg

Once in this position it will then accept the spacer and the female threaded socket.

IMG_4210.jpeg

This adapter will allow you to reuse your standard incandescent bulbs (Depending on the tail light housing), but you will have to disassemble the light housing to fit or change the bulb due to the narrow width of the threaded adapter. I have not tested how much heat is put off by a standard bulb. To make these lights completely serviceable from you can upgrade your tail lights to LEDs with a width of no more than 20mm. LEDs are recommended due to higher light output and lower heat output.

Here they are shown installed in all 3 positions of a 1200 sedan tail light, with LEDs.
IMG_4198.jpeg
IMG_4199.jpeg

Here they are shown installed in all 3 positions of a 510 tail light with low profile spacer ring:
IMG_4182.jpeg
IMG_4188.jpeg
IMG_4189.jpeg
IMG_4193.jpeg

Here they are installed in a 3 positions of a fully assembled 1200 coupe light (no need to disassemble to install)
IMG_4204.jpeg

My car with LEDs and repair sockets installed.
IMG_4214.jpeg

These will likely work in any car that uses this same light socket pattern. I've only tested on the vehicles mentioned above.

I'll be offering these for sale in the classified section. 1 for $20, 2 for $30. Plus shipping and Paypal fees.

I'll also be offering them with LED's for extra. (1156 turn signal and reverse lights, and 1157 brake and some some front turn signals) Note, if you install LEDs for your turn signals, you may need to add a resistor, or change the flasher to one that is LED compatible. I installed LED turn signals in the rear only, and did not have any issues with hyper flash. I can include an LED compatible flasher for $10.

LED turn signal testing results on two different 510s, see this post:

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Edited by Draker
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

You're more than welcome.  just calling it like I see it.  I love Jake's prints of the whole housing and they're worth the money, but this is a much more affordable option for those with this issue. 🙂

I've been doing some additional testing for cars which experience hyper flash (turn signals). I've installed these LED's in 3 cars, one of them had a faster flash pattern. I did some digging into resistors, different bulbs, LED compatible flashers. The LED compatible flasher is probably the best option, in my opinion. It can be used with LED or standard halogen bulbs. For those who don't want to convert to LED's you can use slim profile halogen bulbs. Although LED's are quite nice!

Here are my results on two stock 510's. One had a noticeable faster flash, which I was trying to fix. The nice thing about the LED flasher, is it works great and provides a smoother flash for even stock halogen bulbs. I'm going to install these in my other cars as well. I have these in stock if folks want to buy the flasher with the bulbs and adapters.

Edited by Draker