Throttle cable

Hey all

So I don't know what's going on but I was driving and the gas pedal got super stiff. I push down a little and the oedak released and it maxed out rpm.I shut the truck off quick but it seems the pedal is super loose now. The cable part of the  pedal seems to have disconnected from the pedal and it just sits the furthest it can. I can push it back to lower rpm but how do I get it back to functional? 

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Almost sounds like the cable broke. If it broke, you’ll have to replace it. It’s also possible that the clip that attaches the cable to the pedal may be missing and the cable may be just disconnected. There should be a round ball on the end of the cable that slips onto the pedal. Reconnect it and just be aware that become disconnected at any time.

58 minutes ago, NC85ST said:

Almost sounds like the cable broke. If it broke, you’ll have to replace it. It’s also possible that the clip that attaches the cable to the pedal may be missing and the cable may be just disconnected. There should be a round ball on the end of the cable that slips onto the pedal. Reconnect it and just be aware that become disconnected at any time.

The round ball is still there.

Is there a way to make it so it doesn't come off or happen again 

1 hour ago, Veraciousreasoning said:

No its disengaged from the petal 

Yes but the carburetor has a return spring that should pull the cable all the way back into the engine compartment. Does it???

IMG_20230716_180911816_HDR.jpg

The carburetor has a spring on it as part of the accelerator pump but there should be an external return spring pulling the throttle closed and returning the throttle cable.

Looks like it above under that adjustment screw.

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Yes but the carburetor has a return spring that should pull the cable all the way back into the engine compartment. Does it???

If you step on the gas pedal and let off does the cable retract into the engine compartment? and the pedal return to it's up position? Looks like it does.

Only thing missing is the clip in the top picture. Look on the floor or under carpet nar pedals where it could have fallen.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

IMG_20230716_180911816_HDR.jpg

The carburetor has a spring on it as part of the accelerator pump but there should be an external return spring pulling the throttle closed and returning the throttle cable.

Looks like it above under that adjustment screw.

If you step on the gas pedal and let off does the cable retract into the engine compartment? and the pedal return to it's up position? Looks like it does.

Only thing missing is the clip in the top picture. Look on the floor or under carpet nar pedals where it could have fallen.

Yes the cable is on the carb. I couldn't get a good angle with the sun. 

When I step on the gas pedal the cable does not retract but the pedal does return to up position 

I'll look hard as hell lol

10 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Does the throttle on the carburetor close when the pedal is released? Sorry for all the questions. I'm trying to get at something

No worries mike I'll always answer the questions cause you always send me down the right path with my Datsun 

So the throttle body stays open when I release the pedal. The cable ball sticks all the way out. I have to manually take the ball and push it back down to close the throttle 

Edited*

After about 2 hours this morning of looking for the clip I can't find it. It seems to have disappeared or exploded 

Edited by Veraciousreasoning

Check that the clamp adjustment isn't too tight and there are no sharp kinks. Take the entire cable out and manually pull back and forth. it tight the cable may have partly frayed inside the plastic sheath and it's no good. You could try dripping WD-40 down the cable and pull the inside cable back and forth. Tis might flesh out any dirt caught in there.

7 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

Check that the clamp adjustment isn't too tight and there are no sharp kinks. Take the entire cable out and manually pull back and forth. it tight the cable may have partly frayed inside the plastic sheath and it's no good. You could try dripping WD-40 down the cable and pull the inside cable back and forth. Tis might flesh out any dirt caught in there.

I'll do it now 

What do I do about the lost clip? 

The only 'clip' in that area is 18455-G7000 and the picture is so small I'm not sure.

The S10 200sx, 620/520/521 and the B-210 have a similar pedal/cable and the ball is secured by a spring clamp that may work. 18104-14800