1985 Nissan 720 4x4 rear Differential gear oil.

Thomas Perkins

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great.Everything went smooth and aligned up perfect.The only special tool I needed was the puller and I had it.I did have to buy the 1 1/16 deep well socket.I got it from the Tractor Supply Company.Same price as Home Depot.Has a lifetime warrant.Probably will never use it again.I like that store.I am waiting on my wife to get home.She went out of town.I will use her car and get some gear oil.I will let that loctite dry over night and take it for a ride and hopefully everything is good.I will post my pics then and all the tools and what it took to do,so if anyone ever needs to do it they can look back at it.Every body has a certain way to do it.What ever works.Don't need no impact wrench,set your e brake and put it in gear,that keeps the flange from moving when taking the pinion nut off.You will need a special too if you don't use the e brake.,just a 1/2 inch breaker bar.The 1/2 ratchet didn't have no ass. I did watch a few video's of people doing this on other types of trucks,basically the same.No one does it the same.In the FSM manual,it says to lube the inside of seal with gear oil.Grease attracts grime.like a magnet,everyone else was using grease.When I took everything apart,they was no grease anywhere.Some used ATV.The inside was so clean for it to be.38 years old.Don't use grease.Looked brand new.My friend at the Nissan place is a go by the book guy.When I tighten the nut,it stopped at my mark cause the e brake held it there,To tighten it more,I would need to release the e brake.Didn't want to do that.

Edited by Thomas Perkins

Hi Ya'll. It is fixed.It is hard to find at a local Auto parts store that sells APL-5, 75W-90W gear oil here.Seems like they are trying to fade it out for synthetic.Could not order from on line.Work tomorrow.I went last night to Auto Zone and they had just one quart and it was closing time.I went to a different one today and left them one quart.Walmart doesn't have it.Here some pics of the work I did.

100_0730.jpg

100_0727.jpg

100_0725.jpg

100_0723.jpg

100_0722.jpg

100_0720.jpg

100_0719.jpg

Cost to do it. Socket-1 1/16 inch 1/2 inch drive deep well.10 bucks.Oil seal with shipping.13.00.Loctite-8.00.Pinion nut-6.00.Gear oil-20.00.So it was about 57 bucks.I did buy a extra oil seal and pinion nut which I didn't include cost.I do have some gear oil left.I did use a 2x4  and hammer to knock the oil seal in.I had to put it close to the edge to keep from damaging the rubber. I didn't want to put any impressions in it by hitting with hammer.Here are my bolts that go to the drive shaft.I put them back in the same place.Here is the finished look.

100_0692.jpg

100_0726.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins