Oil pump position

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ENGINE MUST BE AT TOP DEAD CENTER ON CYLINDER ONE ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE!!!

What causes oil pump/ distributor spindle to jump a gear on the oil

Set the oil pump/distributor drive spindle as shown in the picture and install into the timing cover. Hold in place with one of the oil pump mounting bolts, finger tight. With the distributor out, take a look down inside and the top of the spindle should be at 11:28 like below...

8Gj0vYy.jpg

It should be right on but as the spindle gear has to mesh with a worm gear on the crankshaft it may bump and be off one tooth. If you don't have 11:28 drop it back out and try again. If repeated attempts fail, try turning the spindle very slightly. When in, it has to be 11:28 or 11:25 as the picture says. 

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

Set the oil pump/distributor drive spindle as shown in the picture and install into the timing cover. Hold in place with one of the oil pump mounting bolts, finger tight. With the distributor out, take a look down inside and the top of the spindle should be at 11:28 like below...

8Gj0vYy.jpg

It should be right on but as the spindle gear has to mesh with a worm gear on the crankshaft it may bump and be off one tooth. If you don't have 11:28 drop it back out and try again. If repeated attempts fail, try turning the spindle very slightly. When in, it has to be 11:28 or 11:25 as the picture says. 

Thanks mike. I'll do it in the am. 

You can pull the distributor without having to worry about where it’s positioned because goes back in only one way. As long as you’re not pulling the oil pump, you’re good. Nissan engines are not like American V-8’s where you have worry about the position of the distributor when you pull it out.

47 minutes ago, NC85ST said:

You can pull the distributor without having to worry about where it’s positioned because goes back in only one way. As long as you’re not pulling the oil pump, you’re good. Nissan engines are not like American V-8’s where you have worry about the position of the distributor when you pull it out.

I did pull the oil pump when it was TDC cause I had to remove q broken bolt through timing cover

20 hours ago, datzenmike said:

8Gj0vYy.jpg

OK just so I'm clear...

I put the cylinder head #1 on TDC...how do I know its the compression stroke. 

I took my distributor off and this is what I see. I tries to take same angle of it as you did for reference. IMG_20230706_145807989_HDR.thumb.jpg.aba7a2700b499d1ba379d5bf70a553c4.jpg

If I'm looking correctly it is not set properly and needs to move a hair or so. I got a Buddy coming over soon so he can look at it from above and tell me when its right.  I can take better pictures if need be 

Edited by Veraciousreasoning

On the compression stroke both intake and exhaust cam lobes will be pointing upwards with the exhaust at about 2 o'clock and the intake at 10. This only gets you close. Use the timing mark in the fan belt pulley and set to zero on the timing scale.

IMG_20230706_145807989_HDR.thumb.jpg.aba7a2700b499d1ba379d5bf70a553c4.jpg

Take the picture while leaning over the driver's side fender. This may be ok can't  turn my monitor on it's side.