Does anyone know where I can find information like this about my truck?

Hello everyone!

So, I am contemplating some things and although I "might" be able to do without this information ahead of time, it would really help me get a better idea if I am wasting my time or not.

So, I need to find out this kind of information, preferably without physically trying to measure it myself since I am still a bit sick and taking such measurements might have to wait until winter.

Information: 1985 Nissan 720 2.4L z24. King cab. Not entirely sure the trim but I think it might be 2WD DX model but it has separate bucket seats which match the interior with what I suspect is a long bed... Pretty much everything original at the moment.

Info I need to figure out:

* distance between frame members

* how to remove the bed

* frame length from front to back

* axel width

* what potential gearing options it has (first gear goes real fast, almost like a granny gear)

* wiring diagrams

* exhaust pipe diameter? no cat, super loud, probably should shove a muffler or something where the cat was

I was hoping to get all this information through measuring things myself but it has been one crazy "few" years. I do appreciate any leads, links, help with these things.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bed is attached with 6 fasteners, basically underneath in the 4 corners and some near the center +-, as I seem to recall from a friend saying so.  Service manual also seems to imply as much.  One also has to unfasten the fuel filler neck from the bed, and of course remove the tail lights to remove the wiring.
Pretty easy job, but two person job probably, unless you have something to slide the bed on.

1 hour ago, 720_Jeff said:

Bed is attached with 6 fasteners, basically underneath in the 4 corners and some near the center +-, as I seem to recall from a friend saying so.  Service manual also seems to imply as much.  One also has to unfasten the fuel filler neck from the bed, and of course remove the tail lights to remove the wiring.
Pretty easy job, but two person job probably, unless you have something to slide the bed on.

The heads of the bed mounting bolts are eccentric and turn till they jam and hold, then the nut is removed. The problem is they get rusty and tight and the eccentric will crush and start spinning when the nut is turned. I guess spray the threads the day before is about all you can do.

You don't have to remove the tail lights. There is a round 6 pin connector behind or near the right rear end of the frame more or less behind the right rear tail light. All tail lights, license and clearance lights are on a separate harness that plugs into the frame harness here.

* axel width. Ask for WMS to WMS (wheel mounting surface)

* what potential gearing options it has (first gear goes real fast, almost like a granny gear) Your imagination. Transmission first gear is 3.321 and rear axle is 3.545. There is only one differential that is lower and that's not advisable for loads, climbing hills passing or driving into the wind.  

* wiring diagrams. The FSM changed from lines clearly marked with the wire color codes that you can follow to where they go and changed to block diagrams. They are terrible. The '83 still has lines and will be close but two years of any changes will be missing. 

* exhaust pipe diameter? no cat, super loud, probably should shove a muffler or something where the cat was. I think it's 2". Not much room for a muffler there. Run new pipe back under bed but in front of axle and secure something there. How old are you? If under 20 use a Cherry bomb for the most noise or a straight through fart cannon, 20-30 a turbo muffler, above 30 get a $15 generic muffler that fits the pipe, bigger the better.

Short wheelbase trucks have a standard cab and small box

Long wheelbase trucks have either...

1/ a standard cab and long box.

2/ a King Cab and small box. You can't have a long box on a King cab the rear wheels wont fit the wheel openings by about 8"-9"

All King Cabs have bucket seats regardless of trim level.

• 3 weeks later...