My new to me 64 NL 320 Pickup

On 8/23/2023 at 5:11 PM, Zippy67roadster said:

Ah!  The parking brake cable was broken when I got the truck.  I will replace it and adjust them again then set the parking break and see how that works.  Thanks!!!

If the park brake was not functioning, you should not be having an issue unless the cable was rusted solid in the park brake on position.

Look at your brake shoes when installed without the drum on, if the top of the rear brake shoe does not rest on the brake cylinder piston, then the e-brake is likely holding it out and it would have to be out of adjustment just to get the drum on, if it is being held out like when the e-brake is engaged the wheel cylinder piston can come farther out of the wheel cylinder where it is not supposed to be, some might even push it out without knowing it, if your foot is on the brake pedal when you pull the e-brake handle you yourself may have forced it out.

Like I mentioned I had the wrong wheel cylinder in my 520 and I was likely setting the e-brake with my foot on the brake and screwing it up myself, I just thought of this myself, I could not figure out how the piston was getting out of the wheel cylinder, and now that I think about it more, whenever I did not use the park brake my wheel cylinder did not leak as much, the reason I did not use the park brake was because I do not drive it that much and every once in a while the e-brake would not release, it would not release because the piston had come out of the wheel cylinder, sometimes forcing the truck to move with the engine it would pop back into the wheel cylinder, but most the time I had to pull it apart to get it loose and then have to bleed the brakes after getting it back together, but it leaked brake fluid all the time until I put the correct brake cylinder in it, probably because I set the park brake with my foot on the brakes.

I am so happy I posted to this thread, I finally figured out why that issue was happening although I have already fixed it, I can use my park brake now instead of a block of wood when I park it for an extended period of time as I know for sure it was not the e-brake cable that cause the issue.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Do you have the old ones?

I believe my 521 cables are in my basement.... I could measure for comparison if you'd like....

I have whats left of it.  It was snapped pretty good.  I figure one of the times it was moved since 1981 it was caught on something and was broken. I am not sure if it is all there but will take a look and measure it.

12 hours ago, Zippy67roadster said:

I have whats left of it.  It was snapped pretty good.  I figure one of the times it was moved since 1981 it was caught on something and was broken. I am not sure if it is all there but will take a look and measure it.

When you find them.... 

20230826_093756.thumb.jpg.ab7361e1b4da775b590a2d4afb1fe9ae.jpg

This is the shielded section...

20230826_093918.thumb.jpg.ac0ed3fc8386e21ea7e8bf32de88c589.jpg

Flange to flange

20230826_093926.thumb.jpg.57de6520606b5ea8b08bf849e36c5c96.jpg

Overall lengths are different side to side....

20230826_093826.thumb.jpg.12ed0fba782302d85e4c7a6e2362aa60.jpg

20230826_093841.thumb.jpg.d2752b9fa0b9226ce78387afeec2300b.jpg