Center Support Bearing and U-Joints

JumboFett

Hi fam!

So I’m finally back to work on my truck, and while I was degreasing and cleaning the undercarriage I noticed that my center support bearing was completely degraded. And since I have to replace that I figure it’d be a good time to replace the u-joints too. 
There are a lot of choices on Rockauto, I just wanted to get y’all’s feedback on which ones would be the best (quality and price) for my application. 1974 620 with a 5spd.

Thank you! 

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Wildcat Walker said:

Not sure what they have, but I always try tu buy Japanese. Beck Arnley is usually pretty good. 

Thank you, please see a list attached.

Where can I find the Japanese bearings?

997C5BED-711A-4729-9FB1-66056827EEA4.png

Edited by JumboFett

In all my time here there has only been ONE confirmed bad carrier bearing failure and that was metalmonkey's. All the bearing does is support the driveshaft weight inside a sleeve  that is supported by the rubber isolator. It's almost always the rubber surround that rots away and the driveshaft becomes unstable.

It's always a crap-shoot with Rockauto. I'd like to think that the listings are all separate, individual and unique, but the cynic in me says that half of them are the same brand, repackaged and rebranded.

Made in the USA is something to look for, but even then, that's no guarantee.

On 5/13/2023 at 5:44 AM, datzenmike said:

In all my time here there has only been ONE confirmed bad carrier bearing failure and that was metalmonkey's. All the bearing does is support the driveshaft weight inside a sleeve  that is supported by the rubber isolator. It's almost always the rubber surround that rots away and the driveshaft becomes unstable.

Welp... technically my rubber isolator failed. I drove it to the driveshaft shop and it beat the shit out of the carrier so I had to replace the whole enchilada...

• Like 1