Coolant flow diagram for A15?

rbastedo

I've been looking, I have a Haynes but there's no such diagram in it.

Can anyone point me to where one is?

I'd really like to know which direction the flow goes especially in relation to the heater hoses. I have a hose that is connected up front close to the water pump and one that is connected to the back of the head.

BTW - whoever thought of connecting a steel 3/8 pipe thread nipple to an aluminum head? Put me in full crisis mode last night as I removed it and broke off part of the aluminum threads! Finally borrowed the correct tap to fix the threads so I could get it all back together. :cursing:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it shouldnt matter which way the flow goes through the heater core, the hc doesnt know or care just as long as it flooooows.

all radiators push fluid @ the bottom into the engine and returns back to the top.

Thanks! That makes perfect sense to me.

The Heater core in question has a lower and an upper connection for the coolant hoses and I wanted to connect the input to the upper and the output to the lower. It turns out the previous owner had it connected opposite.

I looked at it and thought the flow was as you said, but wanted to check here to make sure.

well the cores are a little different, they dont have any control over anything there only on or off. the heat is controlled by the mixer doors. there is no difference either way, both will work the same. i would also like to go out on a limb here and say if you ran the hoses (pain in the ass) the radiator can run either way too.... my 2 pennies. and on the radiator correct me if im wrong, cause i would like to know how they REALLY work if im wrong.

There is an A-series coolant flow diagram on Datsun1200.com: diagram

Thanks, that's exactly it!

That's not my heater, but that's my engine.

The way my core is situated I know for sure it makes a difference.

Also, the experience of hat air from the defroster tells me it's hooked up right.

(previously almost no heat at all)

On a Datsun 1200 (A12 engine) you do have control of the coolant flow: the mechanical water cock valve controls the heat level, and there is no cold/hot air "mixing" like some cars have. This is one reason why turning the heater to "hot" will cool down the temp gauge noticebly on a hot summer day. The heater core is probably 10% the size of the little Datsun 1200 radiator :-)

If I recall correctly Rick has an MG or something like that, so his setup will be different. Or maybe not.

CO-01_01.JPG

Datsun A12 Engine Cooling Flow

Radiators definitely need to be plumbed correctly. Since heat rises, the engine output goes in the top and and the cooled water is taken from the bottom.

Edited by ggzilla
...but on a normal car...

Ouch! :)

(ok - a smilie would have been good here!)

Ok, I admit to having an abnormal car.

My heater is a Smiths and my core sits at an angle and the inlet and outlet are at the top. My feeling is that this invites sediment, rust & gook to settle in and clog it up. The inlet is higher than the outlet according to the manual and the previous owner (PO) connected them backwards.

SPM-012.gif

Edited by rbastedo

no no, not dissing you, just trying to learn a little here :) i was wondering though, what if you ran 2 cores.....it would hypothetically cool the car twice as much and at the same time get twice as hot in the cab. now i know you dont bouble the temps, like you can bake cookies on 350 for 15 minutes but not 700 for 7 minutes, but i have just thought about this for a few years....ideas, thoughts?

I reckon the heater core will heat the car even if hooked up 'backwards'. But on a car with a water cock valve, you could end up with a hotter core even when 'off' if hooked up backwards. That being said, my Datsun core is always warm even when off.

The sediment idea makes sense too.

The Datsun is a normal car. The mixing door method previously was used by luxury cars (not 'normal' cars). I don't know what the majority of 2009 models are using, but back in the 70s, this was normal.