Front brake pad issue

None_zero

I picked up some new brake pads for my front brakes on the '84 720 they are the Bosch brake pads. Advanced auto lists them as an exact fit. But the side of the pads that had the little metal tab to make them ring when it's time to change them doesn't fit into the mounting bracket. I had this same problem last time I got brake pads and solved it by cutting the tabs off the pads. But I'm wondering if I'm getting the wrong pads or doing something wrong? Has anyone else had this issue? To clarify what I mean is the little metal clips at the top and bottom of the pads. Will not allow the brake pad with the wear indicator to fit between them. Unless I cut the wear indicator off 

Edited by None_zero
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this time I opted to flex that tab down and jam it in there this time. It's dark and cold so I just did the one side and plan to finish in the morning. Then I'll take it for a spin and see if it sounds normal. It's just super awkward pushing down on that tab hard enough to fit it in there without moving the pad out of position. And the tabless side slides in there like it belongs which makes the other one seem like a poor fit. I don't know I'd welcome information.

The tab is for people that need to be told to check their pads just like those useless buzzers for leaving your key in the ignition when getting out or forgetting your seat belt. Just clip them off and get on with your life.

• Like 1

Cool it got a little easier when I stopped trying to half ass the job and not do any of the ancillary maintenance along the way. I was able to install them with the tabs after all. @datzenmikeI messaged you about the torque specs for the rotor bolts and the hub nut. As I said the hub nut was so loose it was turning before I even got the socket on it. (Possibly where that occasional wobble I feel while driving is coming from) but then I realized I don't know where to check for replies I think because I'm on a phone and the site line never goes away there are parts of the site I can't see maybe I need to switch to classic mode 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, datzenmike said:

The tab is for people that need to be told to check their pads just like those useless buzzers for leaving your key in the ignition when getting out or forgetting your seat belt. Just clip them off and get on with your life.

Yes this cracked me up because when I first got the 720 and I was going over everything and trying to get familiar with the truck. One of the things I did was try to start fixing and replacing small things like add a 12volt charger socket and change the screwdriver ignition to a push button one. I made a custom seal for the windshield from a tube of U-100, to replace the gorilla tape that was on it when I got it... anyways one of the things I reattached was the little alarm on the driver side under the dash that beeps when you turn it on or if you leave the lights on. (I forget what all activated it.) It wasn't 2 weeks laterni was itching to get back under the dash and disconnect that sucker again. I didn't realize how annoying it was until I lived without it for a while. Lol

• Like 1
15 hours ago, None_zero said:

Cool it got a little easier when I stopped trying to half ass the job and not do any of the ancillary maintenance along the way. I was able to install them with the tabs after all. @datzenmikeI messaged you about the torque specs for the rotor bolts and the hub nut. As I said the hub nut was so loose it was turning before I even got the socket on it. (Possibly where that occasional wobble I feel while driving is coming from) but then I realized I don't know where to check for replies I think because I'm on a phone and the site line never goes away there are parts of the site I can't see maybe I need to switch to classic mode 

There is a wierd trick to get to messages and notifications...

At the top of the page click on the front tire of the 510... it will pull up the menu...

Edited by Crashtd420