Will 720 Calipers work on a 620?

SWFL

Will 1982 ( I believe that's the switch date ) and up 720 modern calipers fit a ball joint equipped 620 without too much trouble? If not, is there a source for steel caliper pistons for the 620 KH calipers? Rockauto only has rebuilt kits, no pistons.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'80-'82 720 calipers and rotors are the same as '78-'79 620. '83 and up were larger calipers with vented rotors. The '83 and up brakes can be fitted to the earlier 620 but you have to change the rotor and I think the hub as well.

• Like 1

I might have to change some of that info.  The year breakdowns are on this page....  http://www.bluehandsinc.com/hub-info.html

I haven't looked at a 620 spindle in a long time, but I'm 99% sure that they are unique an none of the vented rotor/calipers will work. I think it's a matter of the mounting holes for the calipers are different.  If I'm wrong about that, then Mike may be right about the later stuff fitting......but I'm nearly positive they won't.  What I am sure about is that you can easily swap the entire spindle assembly from a mid 720 or even HB in place of the 620 spindle.  

All of the hubs interchange, the difference being the nose size.  The late 720 and HB hubs will not fit the stock steel rims.  

If you want to run stock steel rims, I would use your 620 hubs with HB rotors/calipers/spindles.  If you want to go lower, now would be the time to get dropped spindles.  If you use 720 spindles/rotors/calipers, you'll have to run an 1/8" wheel spacer.

• Like 2