EZ trailer loading....tow it on

I just sold my dream truck....a '90 3/4 Ton Suburban.

It has Manual:  Windows, 4=sp, Transfer Case, Hubs, and was all vinyl.  It was just what I was looking for when I bought it.  I still don't know why I sold it....other than it needed an engine (I put the replacement in the other Sub....Vortec) and I hadn't put it back together after I hit an elk.  None of this new-fangled stuff....a real truck for a real man (that would be me).

Last year, it was easier/faster to buy a '93 Sub than get that one fixed....and we needed a tow rig to go to the dunes.  2 Suburbans....it don't make no sense (hillbilly speak there).

Anyways....we hook on to it an pull it backwards w/the '93.  We go to put it on the trailer....about 3' in the air, and try to use the winch and it didn't work....come-along hand-winch???  He jack knifed he truck.  I pulled alongside and pulled it up to the ramp, w/the strap running diagonally.  Then, I ran a chain and a strap (which you would find laying on the side of the freeway.  Yes, I do turn around for that kind of thing.  4" wide, 1/8" thick, you've seen a million of em on semi-trailers) over the top of the trailer to the sub...I was in low-range and I barely had to step on the gas.  It went on so easy I couldn't believe it.  I need to remember that trick.  It was about 10,000 times easier/faster than a winch.  The whole thing was done in about 10 minutes, once we figured out how to do it.

• Like 2
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Many ways to load easily. I have just used my Patrol and pushed many cars onto the trailer, only do this with vehicles I don't care about. Most amazing and easy load was a 67 Patrol with no rear axle. I put car dollies under the rear leaf springs and shoved it right on to the trailer. Wish I had video as it was just too easy. Another method was getting the car to the trailer with cable hooked up running thru snatch block on tongue of trailer and under the car back to my Patrol backing up for another easy load. Another one I wish I had a video of. I will tell a few of my profanity laden load stories later. 

I was thinking of a snatch block when he came up w/his idea.  

He was pretty good.  He jack-knifed the thing right in front of the Sub....I mean about 1 length from it.  Right where you'd park the Sub if you were pulling it up to the ramps.