Flywheel Install with Crankshaft Balance

dougfj62

Finally assembled rebuilt LB20 motor and also had the flywheel resurfaced. The flywheel was not attached to the LB20 when I acquired the motor so I was not able to mark the flywheel and crankshaft. I have been reading through "how to keep your Datsun/Nissan alive manual" as well as a Chilton Manual for the 510 and can't find any information for installing the flywheel with it balanced to the crankshaft. I am guessing that it must have to do with top dead center, but I can't confirm and do not want to guess. Any information on the procedure to install the flywheel would be greatly appreciated.  

http://40793-C7-A-8371-4107-A33-A-FE3-BCFE72-EA

http://0-A7-B2-C43-EC73-4-DC9-A1-A4-E60-D30-CDF

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Datsun L series engines use zero balance flywheels, crankshaft and harmonic balancers (or crank pulleys), so it doesn't matter what the clocking is of the flywheels when installed. It is a good idea to have the clutch cover balanced to the flywheel. Did you do that?

• Like 1

I imagine they are balanced fairly good, you could check. What would be the point of producing an unbalanced pressure plate?

I remember in the day GMs had a paint mark on the flywheel showing the 'heavy side'. This is close enough and not a cause of any vibration. Pressure plates were marked with paint for the 'light side' and you aligned them so they cancelled rather than randomly having two 'heavy sides' together.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, dougfj62 said:

Good Deal!!! No, I did not have the clutch cover balanced to the flywheel. Not familiar with balancing a clutch cover to the flywheel . What type of shop balances the flywheel to the clutch cover? 

Any engine machine shop can balance them. It takes just a few minutes and is inexpensive.