short throw shifter

dat_sun720

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1nLq5MD.jpg

If you have this style of shifter (MIDDLE) take apart and flip the plastic bushings and the spring upside down so it looks like the one on the LEFT. This raises the fulcrum point and this causes a shorter throw. If you search around try to find the one on the RIGHT which is already longer below the fulcrum pin and you can flip it also for even shorter throw.

fwlp9iB.jpg

I re-drilled the pin holes to raise the fulcrum even further below this must be lengthened by the same amount. I cut the end off a spare and welded it on

iTEguZR.jpg

2QWi1nj.jpg

8ruyjHB.jpg

Yes you can cut the top length shorter but then you have to lean forward to shift into 1st 3rd and 5th. Doing it my way the shifter length is the same but travels a much shorter distance and the shifter stays nice an high near the steering wheel. Every gear can be shifted comfortably with back against the seat.

94qfucB.jpg

First

txcLdok.jpg

Second

• Like 2

This...

1  3  5

neutral

2  4  R

to this...

1  3  5

neutral

2  4  R

It does not change the horizontal space between gears or the neutral gate width, only forward and back. Raising the fulcrum point reduces the leverage or mechanical advantage so shifting is slightly firmer. It would be if you just cut your present shifter shorter but reaching down to the console for the shift knob is clown shoes, having the shifter beside the steering wheel.... priceless.

1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

This...

1  3  5

neutral

2  4  R

to this...

1  3  5

neutral

2  4  R

It does not change the horizontal space between gears or the neutral gate width, only forward and back. Raising the fulcrum point reduces the leverage or mechanical advantage so shifting is slightly firmer. It would be if you just cut your present shifter shorter but reaching down to the console for the shift knob is clown shoes, having the shifter beside the steering wheel.... priceless.

Lol, I did that flip it mod years ago as the stock shifter had an angle I just hated and my long monkey arms were more comfortable down lower (I usually drive with my left hand).