1985 720 Turn signal assembly

Tanken

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sort of a moot point, being that both of those are Out of Stock?  That switch doesn't have the stick/electrical for the intermittent wipers.  

There's a couple guys, both on facebook that are selling rebuilt switches.  Nothing you can't do yourself, take it apart, clean, dielectric grease and reassemble, although looks like you made a 1st attempt.

Forgot to hit the Submit button. This was about noon....

Variable speed wipers are an option, I think only on the  king cab with the GL which is a trim level option. Do you have a king cab truck?

Look for the engine tag located in the inner passenger side fender under the hood hinge. If KC it may read KLG 720.... (SJ orL)

S.... standard

J.... GL trim

L.... ST trim

You only need the headlight/turn signal part but they are probably sold as an a$$sembly with everything, that you don't need.

The collapsible steering column and the tilt column may be different diameters or something that makes using the wrong switch assembly not an option.

I think the head light/turn switches are universal so if you can find a used one maybe just take it out and put in yours?

6 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Forgot to hit the Submit button. This was about noon....

Variable speed wipers are an option, I think only on the  king cab with the GL which is a trim level option. Do you have a king cab truck?

Look for the engine tag located in the inner passenger side fender under the hood hinge. If KC it may read KLG 720.... (SJ orL)

S.... standard

J.... GL trim

L.... ST trim

You only need the headlight/turn signal part but they are probably sold as an a$$sembly with everything, that you don't need.

The collapsible steering column and the tilt column may be different diameters or something that makes using the wrong switch assembly not an option.

I think the head light/turn switches are universal so if you can find a used one maybe just take it out and put in yours?

I don't have a king cab but I'll have to check my trim level. I'm just having trouble putting the turn signal switch back together. i have no idea where those small metal ball things go. no matter how many times i try it never goes back right. thats why i was just looking for an aftermarket replacement. i also may have broken the headlight selector mechanism because it doesn't really *click* between the modes now

8 hours ago, 720_Jeff said:

Sort of a moot point, being that both of those are Out of Stock?  That switch doesn't have the stick/electrical for the intermittent wipers.  

There's a couple guys, both on facebook that are selling rebuilt switches.  Nothing you can't do yourself, take it apart, clean, dielectric grease and reassemble, although looks like you made a 1st attempt.

CarID has it. but again im not certain on the fitment 

I think, collapsible steering, another way of saying Tilt/adjustable steering.  Can you adjust the height of the steering column/wheen?  There is a black lever, think left side of column.  Not too hard to find.

The intermittent wipers, naturally those won't work, unless you substitute the stick from yours into the new one, assuming that would work.  Suspect it will, but not positive

Edited by 720_Jeff

I misspoke. ALL trucks have an intermittent wiper. There are two wiper stalks. The most common has a position called 'Mist' and this is a built in delay for the wipers so they aren't grinding on the glass when it's foggy or hardly drizzling. The other is a variable delay that can be adjusted between mist and maybe 20 seconds. The end of the stalk is twisted varying a resistance to ground so there is an extra wire going to the intermittent amplifier. The intermittent amplifier simply turns the wiper on for half a second and turns off, the wiper finishes it's sweep in it's 'park mode' and stops just as if you reached out and did the same by hand. The two amplifiers are different but can be swapped but you must add the extra wire to it. My information shows only the King Cab with GL trim level, (or possibly all GL trim levels) have the variable intermittent wipers. 

Under the hood the column fits inside a larger section of column and will telescope in an accident. Somewhat like a spline.

Tilt steering has a small U joint that allows the top of the column to be positioned up or down against the knees. The hand lever is just a clamp that holds the adjustment.

The 85/86 brochure I have call the feature

Wiper/washer with variable intermittent feature

On the ST's its standard, not even an option on the other trucks.  Now, I know I've seen the round stalk on more than a few Deluxe's, so suspecting the brochure must be wrong that it wasn't an option.

I have 2 ‘85 ST’s, one has variable intermittent and the other doesn’t. One of my ST’s didn’t even come with a factory radio, so I’m guessing that there were multiple ways to option those trucks. As for another switch, I would start looking for a used one.

On 10/6/2022 at 6:48 AM, datzenmike said:

I misspoke. ALL trucks have an intermittent wiper. There are two wiper stalks. The most common has a position called 'Mist' and this is a built in delay for the wipers so they aren't grinding on the glass when it's foggy or hardly drizzling. The other is a variable delay that can be adjusted between mist and maybe 20 seconds. The end of the stalk is twisted varying a resistance to ground so there is an extra wire going to the intermittent amplifier. The intermittent amplifier simply turns the wiper on for half a second and turns off, the wiper finishes it's sweep in it's 'park mode' and stops just as if you reached out and did the same by hand. The two amplifiers are different but can be swapped but you must add the extra wire to it. My information shows only the King Cab with GL trim level, (or possibly all GL trim levels) have the variable intermittent wipers. 

Under the hood the column fits inside a larger section of column and will telescope in an accident. Somewhat like a spline.

Tilt steering has a small U joint that allows the top of the column to be positioned up or down against the knees. The hand lever is just a clamp that holds the adjustment.

@datzenmike does this look like "collapsible steering" ? down towards the front bumper side of the truck it looks like it would be. 20221008-093709.jpg

3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Yes. In the event of an accident, the narrower part of the column above the steering box can be pushed up into the larger diameter part of the column above it, right at that rubber dust shield. 

gotcha. looks like that switch off carID will work then. appreciate all of your help

• 2 weeks later...