electronic fuel pumps

a.d._510_n_ok

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The stock Nissan pumps are very good and seldom fail. Even a used one off a wreck is better than a non factory mechanical one. I'm running a Z24 which has no opening in the head for the mechanical pump, plus the studs are used for a power steering pump mount. I use the Nissan 720 electric pump that mounts on the outside of the frame just ahead of the rear passenger side tire.

I don't see any advantage to switching to electric from the mechanical if it is working fine. The electric pump should be mounted as low and as close to the tank as you can because they push much better than they can suck. Also the pump should be properly wired so that in the event of an accident it will shut off to lessen the risk of a fire. You do not want gas poring out of a carb while you are trapped in an upside down wreck. Any later 720 will have the pump relay that only allows power to the pump while cranking OR only if there is oil pressure and alternator output with the key on.

BLOCK OFF PLATES

Any Z20E, Z22E (200sx '80-'82) or Z22S ('81-'82 720) will have a block off plate over the hole where the mechanical pump was.(the Z24 is sealed) Here's one from a Z engine, I know it fits because I put an L pump on a Z head to see if it would fit.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/motorfuelpumpblockoffZ20Z22.jpg[/img]"]motorfuelpumpblockoffZ20Z22.jpg

Edited by datzenmike