To Rebuild or Not? Datsun 260 240sx KA24E Swap.

DATSUNgeo

As stated in another thread, I acquired two 240sx engines in a sale/trade. I’ll be using one for my Datsun 260 engine swap. I opened one up and things look clean inside. I’m trying to decide if I should tear it apart and do a complete build, pistons, rings, seals, etc…, or if I should just closer her back up, complete a compression check and run with it if the compression is good. There is a about the same amount of play at each cylinder rod at the crank, about 1/16”, back to front. Here are some pictures, thoughts.  Thanks, much appreciated.

Po7HZY5l.jpg

tOL4XLWl.jpg

JvCj4zVl.jpg

3Gc1KLTl.jpg

pzGJUDIl.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exceptionally clean!!! play lengthwise on rod big ends is normal.

I would replace the timing chain and guides. The guides tend to fall apart at 80k. I took an S13 KA-E apart and the guides looked very good. When I pulled the pan it was full of the old plastic guides. 

• Like 2

Yes, at the very least, replace the timing set. Everything looks good otherwise.

Maybe a new rear main seal (OEM) while it's apart. Use the right stuff RTV on the oil pan. The factory used grey semi hardening RTV which is good too. Threebond makes it, but it can be difficult to find. The right stuff is better, in my opinion, but can be messy, so don't go crazy with it.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Soundline said:

I’m interested in this topic as well, do any of you have an online parts source for KA24E rebuild kits?

I’m taking it in and having it long blocked professionally. However, there are plenty relatively inexpensive of KA24E rebuild kits on eBay. I’m not sure of the parts quality of these kits, they may work for regular diving. Just make sure you order the correct KA24E kit. The KA24E 240SX kit is different than the KA24E kit for the D21/Hardbody KA24E.

On 7/14/2022 at 8:50 PM, DATSUNgeo said:

I’m taking it in and having it long blocked professionally. However, there are plenty relatively inexpensive of KA24E rebuild kits on eBay. I’m not sure of the parts quality of these kits, they may work for regular diving. Just make sure you order the correct KA24E kit. The KA24E 240SX kit is different than the KA24E kit for the D21/Hardbody KA24E.

That’s why I’d be interested to see if anyone has experience with a specific rebuild kit.  eBay can be very hit/miss.