Another Question - Speedo

Payco

Guys. My Speedo has stopped working . I’ve had the instrument cluster out this week to clean the bulb holders and fit new bulbs and all the lights are now working. The Speedo  is connected to the back of the cluster so I’m now trying to track the other end to what I assume will be the gear box ?. Does anyone have any photos of it at that end and whether I can see it without jacking the car up. I understand they can snap and want to check if this is the case.

Thanks guys

Martin 

Edited by Payco
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this is what I do.

I take the instrumant clucter out and put the car onjacks and drive it in gear and see if the cable is spinning.

I guess another way would be to take of off the trans .there is a cap that holds the cable end on the trans pinion assembly . One could maybe take if off there and put a drill motor to it and run it and see if the needle moves inside. Which way I dont know.  thats so you dont have to pull the instrument panel.

I have changed out 2 on my 521 truck and I think 3 on my 510. and also one pinion assemble where the plastic teeth wore out.

Its really pretty EZ more or less lucky which way you do it first.

I have pulled it cable out and it broke half way.

I had on where it was right at the trans. the slot key at end of cable. I got a Gereric cable and sized it using the broken one then drill out the back of the key and use JBweld and put the cable in there. it worked for years. The I found a OEM stock cable when that one went bad

• Like 1

If it stopped working after you took the dash cluster out then that's the cause. Unscrew the cable and screw it back in. The square end of the flexible cable probably just isn't in the square hole in the meter. If you pulled on the meter end you may have pulled the transmission end out of the speedometer pinion in the transmission. The flexible cable has a ferrule on the end that is keyed to fit the speedometer pinion.

It more or less looks like this on the transmission end ...

dE70HSq.jpg

As Hainz says. Disconnect the cable so you can see the square end of the flexible cable. Place in neutral, lift a rear wheel, have someone spin it in a forward direction. Does it turn? If yes then the cable may not be engaging the meter. If not spinning in may just be disconnected at the transmission end.

• Like 1

Sorry, bad choice of words. It was working but stopped working a couple of months back before I removed the instrument cluster. I checked it was connected at the top end when tje cluster was out and it was so wanted to know where it connected at the bottom to see if it was connected there too, you have all helped me out again so many thanks. This forum has helped me no end. 
Martin