Fixing sloppy shifting short tail trans???

mike

My brother just picked up a 73 620 with the stock short tail 4 speed and its the worst thing about the truck. It is sloppy as hell. Is there an easy fix for these trannys to tighten up the shifter? I know nothing about these transmissions so I dont want to go tearing into it unless I know I can fix it.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look on the 2nd drawing

item 23 and 24.

what happens is the fork prong above gets spread out.

what I did it pull the E clip and pina and stuck a STRONG stainless bolt and sqeezed this together switch takes out some of the slop.

some people shim them up with washers but its hard to do without dropping it every 5 minutes.

some people replace item 34(with brass ones or hard plastic) thinking thats it but I rarely see those as the peoplem when it come to a sloppy stick shift

on my Datsun B210. I ordered brass bushings from a Machine Shop in Georgia for around $14 including shipping. I found them on e-bay. I had to grind off a little brass to make the bushings fit.

It was an easy disassemble and reassemble. The sloppiness disappeared and I have a tight and smooth shifting transmission.

I recommend brass over plastic, brass will last longer. :cool: