97 2wd locker diff?

Mullet_Man615

I’m trying to figure out how I can put a locker diff on my 2wd without it costing an arm and a leg. Are there any trucks I could probably find in a junk yard and it’s locker diff bolt up with little to no fab work? For those wondering why in the hell I’m wanting to do it, it’s a work in progress drift truck that I can somewhat practically daily.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that I am reviving this thread.  But, this is valid.

Powertrax (SP?) makes drop in parts for the 3d member for some trucks to do this.  I am not sure if they make anything for a Nissan.

I do not know if they ever did it on a Nissan.  But, some Tacomas, or T100s came w/an electric locker w/a switch on the dash to activate them.  To do this, you might need new spring pads, E-brake, brake lines AND a new flange on your driveshaft....assuming that the width is compatible.

On 4/29/2022 at 4:58 PM, Mullet_Man615 said:

I’m trying to figure out how I can put a locker diff on my 2wd without it costing an arm and a leg. Are there any trucks I could probably find in a junk yard and it’s locker diff bolt up with little to no fab work? For those wondering why in the hell I’m wanting to do it, it’s a work in progress drift truck that I can somewhat practically daily.

No such thing as cheap LSD. Cheapest loc-up is a 'Lincoln Locker' welded differential. Even that requires the axles be pulled and the third member unbolted and dropped out to get at. The bad is that it's locked with no slip at all and wears the tires and hops and chirps on tight turns. Spend the money or forget about it.

37 minutes ago, Stinky said:

I know that I am reviving this thread.  But, this is valid.

Powertrax (SP?) makes drop in parts for the 3d member for some trucks to do this.  I am not sure if they make anything for a Nissan.

I do not know if they ever did it on a Nissan.  But, some Tacomas, or T100s came w/an electric locker w/a switch on the dash to activate them.  To do this, you might need new spring pads, E-brake, brake lines AND a new flange on your driveshaft....assuming that the width is compatible.

Maybe the orange and yellow? but only if they have clutches. That blue one looks suspiciously like the 'Phantom grip' from years ago. It used spring pressure to force the side gears into the case to increase 'grip'. They were never designed for this. Select one with clutches and discs so there is some slip designed in for going around corners where one tire wants to turn faster than the inside one.

Little to no fab work? Drift truck?

How about welding the diff?

There are no good inexpensive lockers or for Nissans. There may be a Detroit Tru-trac limited slip available for the D21, but I'm not sure.

The Toyota e-lockers are super strong, but the electric motors that operate them can be problematic and costly to replace. I've repaired a bunch over the years so I am pretty familiar with them. Wiring can also be tricky. Originally, they used a resistor so the motor didn't over-shift and get stuck, but years on the road makes the motors slow and eliminating the resistor brings them back up to speed. I have wiring diagrams available for custom wiring of these e-lockers, if anyone is interested.

For what it's worth, I have Toyota e-lockers in my Rover. They've been in there for almost 20 years and have only once let me down.

• Like 1