Adjustable timing sprocket

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, datzenmike said:

It's an insane amount for something that you won't even feel on a stock engine.

Thank you for responding, I value your council. My thought was if I employ an knock sensor, then I may benefit from advanced timing, The only gain sought by seeing how far I could advance was improved mpg. My engine is far from stock, but modifications focus on torque and low end power. Do you believe there is enough timing advance available to accomplish any possible gains, without an adjustable timing sprocket?

What are those kalamaari adjustable sprockets? $300 or $600. I was going to say that's a lot of driving to pay back. Gotta figure Nissan probably has the timing close for mileage/power compromise. I know as the chain wears the valve events happen sooner 

There are 3 adjustment holes in the cam sprocket for retarding the cam timing from induced advancing from a worn chain or having the head milled. Each hole is 4 degrees. L20B and up are factory set at the #2 hole. Moving to #3 retards 4 degrees. #1 advances. You could move one tooth, that's 9 degrees.

Try this and see if you notice anything, I doubt you will. It's something only a dyno will confirm. IIRC a stretched chain tends to gain at higher RPMs and looses some low speed torque.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Waste of money.

You can get all the ignition timing that you need in the dizzy's bracket.  They is no advantage to ignition advance, because you can only go so far and it will start pre-ignition (pinging), add a little more, and it will sound like you are making popcorn.  That said, there is a guy on here that re-curve dizzys for more advance.

They make the same sort of thing for SBCs.  They used to make them for Pinto engines and they make them for Type I VW engines.  The people that make them talk about how great they are.

I have learned....you move the whole power curve down in rpms about 200 rpm per each 4 degrees advanced
or up 200 for each 4 degrees retarded from its stock index location

Also, there are no gains to be made over an ignition system that is functioning well....in a stock motor.  That said, if you couldn't help yourself, I'd put on the cheap MSD box  Summit sells one of their brand, that is a bit cheaper, that sounds similar.  Accel also makes one

https://www.jegs.com/i/MSD-Ignition/121/5520/10002/-1

Edited by Stinky