85 Nissan 720 4x4 tail pipe extension.

Thomas Perkins

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Something else I got to do.Not long ago,I bought the muffler/Tail pipe assembly and it came with the bracket welded to it to fit the rear hanger.I took it to a muffler shop and he installed it plus removed the bad pipe that was connected to the muffler coming from the long pipe connected to exhaust manifold,that pipe is fairly new.Just like Oem.Right before the muffler is another hanger.But I had the cat removed  before this and he said he could do this for 60 bucks but no receipt cause it has no cat and their is no bracket on the pipe by the hanger to secure it.I want it to look professional.What should I use.The Oem style has the pipe going to the muffler with the bracket welded to it.With no bracket to secure the pipe there which will secure the muffler also from shaking.I guess I Can take it back to him to make it right.Does Auto Part stores have something to fix it.Something that will wrap around the pipe and secure with a screw and connect to the the threaded stud at the bottom of the hanger.

Edited by Thomas Perkins

Are you asking about a clamp or a hanger?

I make my own hangers out of 3/8" round stainless rod, and I bend it to fit the pipe and the hanger, just like the factory did. Auto parts stores sell generic hangers, none of which look anything like stock. Muffler shops sell weld on rod style hangers, but they never take the time to bend them around the pipe. They usually just weld at one point and cut the rest off with a torch. Hack...

Clamps, there is a band style clamp that is low profile and seals up either straight or stepped connections, but they don't look like stock. There are also thick metal strap clamps that will tighten up a slip fit joint. Those look more like stock. https://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/exhaust-clamps?N=clamp-style%3Aband-clamp_band-clamp-butt-joint_band-clamp-lap-joint_strap

Here is a drawing of my exhaust.The hanger is like the other hanger.It has a rubber piece where a threaded stud goes thru it and comes out the bottom where a nut goes on the stud to secure the bracket.This one one will cIamp on my 2 inch pipe and I can put one of the holes in the metal strap into the stud and put a washer and nut on it and tighten it down. found one.It is Walker Exhaust 36272 Exhaust System Hanger.Summit Racing does have these..They will fit up to 2 1/2 inch pipes.I am going to replace my 2 clamps with stainless steel cause the threads are rusting.I just now notice that I have 2 5/8 of an inch from the pipe to the stud to the first hole in the strap.When I tighten the clamp onto the pipe it will pull it in a little.So from the end of the black piece on the clamp and hole can be no longer than 2 5/8 inches to get on my hanger.I also will cut it off just pass the second hole.I will try Autozone first,cause I can take it back if it don't fit.It look's like the pipe is not going to get very close to the clamp to work.I could cut the strap and put a washer and nut in the hanger and nut and washer in the other end of the strap to the clamp part..I will go see what Autozone has.

100_9315.jpg

61nMwXq7ltL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1

I just got back from N.A.P.A.The part was 6.42 total.It is a N.A.P.A. brand part,similar to the Walker one.On the way home,I realized that the strap with the holes needs to be turned a 90 degree angle to go on the stud.I have no welder.This could probably work for the tail pipe hanger,just have to bend the strap..I asked him how much were 2 inch stainless steel clamps and he said 15 bucks each and he would have to order.I told him not right now.Advance has them for 11.49.Here they are.They are the same type that's been on there since I had it,just not stainless steel.I just found this part at advance.I could remove the hanger and install it in it's place and screw the part into the N.A.P.A part.The part is 6.99 and they have it in stock.Probably screw into the bottom hole.Just that metal piece on that hanger would work,just beat that rounded piece at the bottom and flatten it out and drill a hole in it and put it in the stud with a nut.If I had a piece of flat metal like that,I could bend it and drill holes.I will look in my junk jars to see.I might be able to cut off the excess of the N.A.P.A. part and use.The first hole in the N.A.P.A. hanger is what I will use.The hanger at the bottom is similar to the Nissan one that is on there,just that the Nissan has a threaded stud coming thru the strap at the bottom instead of a metal piece with 2 holes in it.The hanger on there is in good shape.I can bend the excess piece into a C- shape.

100_9322.jpg

11698113_18x_103_pri_larg.jpg

5010039_18x_518511_pri_larg.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1

Hi Ya'll,just got finished securing my muffler and pipe.It doesn't shake anymore.I just used the part from N.A.P.A.When I installed it to the pipe,I seen that I could just drill a hole into the black bracket holding the old hanger and get a bolt and a lock washer and nut to secure it.See how that clamp is rusting.Going to get the stainless steel ones from Advance.I could remove the old hanger.Just will leave it their.

100_9324.jpg

100_9323.jpg

100_9327.jpg

Edited by Thomas Perkins
  • Like 1