620 tachometer substitution?

EDM620

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 1200 or B-110 used the exact same optional tach but it had a flat plastic face. I had one and cut up a gauge cluster for the plastic cover and glued it on to match the other two.

There is plenty of room for just about any after market tach you care to try in the hole. The '75 didn't have any wiring for a tach so you will need to run a sense wire to the coil negative side.

Amazon has 7 pages of tachs. Digital are impossible to read when the numbers are changing rapidly and a needle is much easier for a quick glance. Red line for the L20B is 7K so you don't need one that goes to 10. I'm not suggesting you get this one but it's clocked to place the average usable high RPM reading in the 11 to 2 o'clock range

Riloer 2" 52mm Tachometer Gauge 7 Colors Tacometro Meter 0-8000 RPM LED Tacho Gauge Meter for 12V Universal Car Auto https://www.amazon.ca/Riloer-Tachometer-Colors-Tacometro-Universal/dp/B09MRXZHDX

Rather than 12 to 4 o'clock.

71jlVuEwiVL._SL1500_.jpg

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Digital are impossible to read when the numbers are changing rapidly

Very true Mike, I'm not a fan of most digital instrumentation - tachs or speedo's especially. No subsitiute for the ability to make a quick glance rather than actually having to read the #. Funny how luxury cars still use an analogue clock and some without any #'s - can millenials tell time that way?

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

it's clocked to place the average usable high RPM reading in the 11 to 2 o'clock range

Part & parcel of the above. 

I will pull the 620 dash out of storage soon and see what mods I'll need to do and what diameter gauge to order. I'll be running the 720 electrics which does feature tach output, and be adapting the wiring to the simpler 620 instrument cluster.