Refurbishing a SSS Steering wheel help

LeDevil

My car came with what appears to be a SSS Steering wheel it coule be or it couldnt be it looks like the ones on Ebay "will post pic later" Anyways I was wondering if anyone knew a way to restore it to make it look like the wood again. Because it's not actually wood. Anyone restore one of these or even a Wood style 240Z Wheel?

Thanks LeDevil

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope they are a Wood design but under it is a hard plastic and I'm affraid to sand it as I dont want to take the wood grain finish off.

EDIT: So can anyone tell me if this is indeed a true SSS steering wheel?

Edited by LeDevil

hope this helps some

I recently restored two 240Z steering wheels. I’m getting better at it with each attempt

My first project wheel is currently installed on my 1972' date=' which can be seen in my photo gallery. Since I had materials left over from my first wheel restoration, I decided to complete another one. This is the wheel in the attached photograph. I’ll be putting this wheel up for sale on ebay in the next couple of weeks.

Here is the process I used:

I stripped down the black spokes by machine sander, and not chemical stripper as not to harm the rim’s finish. Then, the center was masked and hub/spokes were painted flat black with a semi-gloss clear coat added.

The faux wood was stripped, prepped, and finished using the following process:

1. Wood was thoroughly cleaned with a citrus degreaser and a mild Teflon-safe scouring pad to remove all accumulation of old varnish, grease and dirt.

2. I applied a single, light coat of red mahogany stain to revive the color.

3. Multiple coats of clear urethane was then sprayed to seal and protect.

4. The wheel was wet sanded with 600 grit sandpaper to smoothen the surface.

5. Polishing compound was then applied and surfaced was buffed by hand for many hours to achieve a glossy finish.[/quote']

Edited by Skib