Spedo pinion gear

76_620

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a 71B. NMCA is probably Nissan Motor Car (or company) Australia. Something like that. They did own a casting division in Australia. I've only seen this in '80 or newer 71Bs.

LhEbhfN.jpg

Need a picture of the right side and tail.

Do you have the original 510 4 speed?

On 8/23/2021 at 11:54 AM, datzenmike said:

It's a 71B. NMCA is probably Nissan Motor Car (or company) Australia. Something like that. They did own a casting division in Australia. I've only seen this in '80 or newer 71Bs.

LhEbhfN.jpg

Need a picture of the right side and tail.

Do you have the original 510 4 speed?

These are some pics I was able to take.

50DE94EA-2FF0-4729-8E81-FFC08721BCA6.jpeg

Edited by 76_620

Is that the speedometer cable dangling down under the transmission????

The most common one for the 510 is a 17 tooth.

32 minutes ago, 76_620 said:

Unfortunately I don’t have the 4 speed anymore. 

here are some more pictures I tried to get of the rear right. So the spedo gear would be from a 77-89 280zx ? Potentially? 

'77-'79.... 620 truck, 810, 280z or the first year only '79 280zx.  As it turns out the '79 280zx does have a 17 tooth pinion gear.

Do you have  anything in the speedometer pinion hole? None of your pictures show this area. It's unfortunately right above the cross member.

OK I see where I went wrong. A picture of the tail where the speedometer goes would have solved this. Your transmission is 26" long isn't it? The speedometer is on the driver's side correct??? This is a 720 5 speed with an earlier L series front case on it. 

The red pinion sleeve IS for the earlier '77-'79 transmission but won't work in the '80 and up ones, but it can easily be modified and made to function.

The pinion sleeve is held into place by a 10mm bolt and a key that fits into a slot in the sleeve...

SuMgAHn.jpg

Below is the difference between pre and post '80 pinion sleeves. The key slots are both on the left side near the bottom but if you look at the plastic gear the left one is off set to the left while the right one is off set to the right. If you put a pre '80 sleeve into a post '80 transmission the plastic gear won't make contact with the worm drive gear inside.

QRq4uF5.jpg

What you do is rotate your pinion sleeve 180 around to the other side and nick it with an angle grinder. Or what ever works for you. Make sure it's on the opposite side and as close to 180 from it as possible. Make it look like the red one on the left below. Make sure you push straight in with only a minimum of wiggling. Do not twist as you can crush the plastic gears into the metal worm gear and bugger it up.

BQtCv0f.jpg

Yes that is correct, 26” long and the spedo pinion is on the driver side. 

ahhh, I see. I had no clue it was a post 80 5 speed. But makes sense now. I am going to try the modification method and follow up shortly. 

here is a good picture of the spedo pinion hole. 

9A39DC55-46C5-4544-9527-0F9B5C0541B9.jpeg

11 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

OK I see where I went wrong. A picture of the tail where the speedometer goes would have solved this. Your transmission is 26" long isn't it? The speedometer is on the driver's side correct??? This is a 720 5 speed with an earlier L series front case on it. 

The red pinion sleeve IS for the earlier '77-'79 transmission but won't work in the '80 and up ones, but it can easily be modified and made to function.

The pinion sleeve is held into place by a 10mm bolt and a key that fits into a slot in the sleeve...

SuMgAHn.jpg

Below is the difference between pre and post '80 pinion sleeves. The key slots are both on the left side near the bottom but if you look at the plastic gear the left one is off set to the left while the right one is off set to the right. If you put a pre '80 sleeve into a post '80 transmission the plastic gear won't make contact with the worm drive gear inside.

QRq4uF5.jpg

What you do is rotate your pinion sleeve 180 around to the other side and nick it with an angle grinder. Or what ever works for you. Make sure it's on the opposite side and as close to 180 from it as possible. Make it look like the red one on the left below. Make sure you push straight in with only a minimum of wiggling. Do not twist as you can crush the plastic gears into the metal worm gear and bugger it up.

BQtCv0f.jpg

Mike if he in fact has the stumpy 71b 5spd from the 720 the short pinion assembly does not reach....

You can use the longer one but probably needs the notch as you described done.... 

I found the best thing to do is insert the assembly and have someone turn the input or output shaft... depending on if it's in the vehicle or not.... i was able to rotate it in the transmission while watching the end of the pinion assembly... when you see the center turning make a mark for the notch.... wayno and I both used the older pinion with the notch at 180... he had an original assembly but had the wrong gear, he noted the notch needed to be about 1/16 closer to the end.... 

6 minutes ago, 76_620 said:

Yes that is correct, 26” long and the spedo pinion is on the driver side. 

ahhh, I see. I had no clue it was a post 80 5 speed. But makes sense now. I am going to try the modification method and follow up shortly. 

here is a good picture of the spedo pinion hole. 

9A39DC55-46C5-4544-9527-0F9B5C0541B9.jpeg

Is it the 71b or a dogleg 5spd?

You would know by the shift pattern...

71b is normal...

The dogleg is above 1st....

26 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Mike if he in fact has the stumpy 71b 5spd from the 720 the short pinion assembly does not reach....

You can use the longer one but probably needs the notch as you described done.... 

I found the best thing to do is insert the assembly and have someone turn the input or output shaft... depending on if it's in the vehicle or not.... i was able to rotate it in the transmission while watching the end of the pinion assembly... when you see the center turning make a mark for the notch.... wayno and I both used the older pinion with the notch at 180... he had an original assembly but had the wrong gear, he noted the notch needed to be about 1/16 closer to the end.... 

That's right I haven't worked much with them. Probably needs the longer Black bodied one in this picture. I suspect it's from a F4W63 as in the 521/510/610/710 or A10 or a 63A dogleg from an S10. I think those were long and black steel.

2EAF0186-D5B3-47F3-AB9D-EEC676358413.jpeg