1974 206Z Ignition coil wiring

12 hours ago, datzenmike said:

If the points are open you will probably read some voltage through the coil from the positive side. 

33 minutes ago, shawninvancouver said:

ok.. but main question is... when key is in the on position ( not start ) should i have power going to both pos and neg of the coil?? 

28 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

No, power only goes to the _+ side of the coil and the - side is grounded by the points or the electronic distributor.  Take the wire off the - side of the coil asn check it for voltage. You will read some coming through the coil from the + side.

8 minutes ago, shawninvancouver said:

ok.. so you are saying there should only be power going to the pos on the coil with the key in on position.. so why am i getting power to pos and neg? did they hook the wrong wire to the neg? is something else causing it? if points are closed would it cause power to neg?  if the ignition module was bad would i still get power up to coil?

that diagram does not show color of wire to coil..  or do you see something else?

The coil is literally that, a coil of wire. If you put power on one end you will read something on the other.

To check for spark you can also pull the center wire of the distributor and put an old spark plug in the end. Place this so the metal part of the spark plug is grounded against anything metal on the car. Turn engine over with the starter and watch for spark. Less chance of getting a 'lifter'

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, shawninvancouver said:

whats the difference between BW and WB in the colors of wires???  black white   white black??  or am i an idot?

B/W is a black with white stripe.

W/B is a white wire with a black stripe.

Look at the bottom right hand corner of that diagram there is a ledger.

If you do not open it in a new window you will not be able to see it full size.

13 hours ago, shawninvancouver said:

I have a brand new msd coil. when car key is turned on i have power to a black/white and blue wire / I need to know which goes to the negative and which goes to the positive on the coil the wire diagram says black/white to pos and other to neg. i tried that and when i turn key to ignition nothing happens.. tried wires other way and nothing happened. i am very close as i have power going right to the coil but not coming out of coil.. i checked fusable links.. all look good..
what is wrong here?? the way the wires are hooked up? or is there something else im missing??
thanks..
can someone post photo of coil wiring

Disconnect all wires from the coil. Find the wire with power on it when the ignition is turned on. Put it on the + terminal of the coil you have. TEST for power on the - terminal. If nothing there, the coil is bad.

Have you ever had spark in this car?

That is a very important piece of information.

There is alot more to the ignition than just the coil. Just wiring aside your working with the ballast resistor, which may or may not be needed anymore with the MSD, and your ignition module.

That's just to get spark out of the coil.

3 hours ago, shawninvancouver said:

its a brand new coil....

The original coil worked. Brand new part introduces an unknown untried part. It probably will work but... Put the original coil back in and get it running than swap.

What's the resistance of the stock coil??? does the 'new' part match this or not?

Again is this a points distributor? Does it have this under the cap???

Tune ups, tune ups, that's our game | The Gates of Lodore

after more work today i can tell you the following.. we cant get spark.

when the key is turned on the only wire getting power is the black/white.

i put that black/white  to the + on coil - blue to neg coil.  also attached to the black/white is a black/green  i think... ( not mentioned in manual) in my photo..

also -its electronic ignition... i took a photo of the Ignition control unit.. a bit rusty  

also there is no mark for spot 1 on distributor cap..

we held end of coil wire to ground when trying to start and no spark...

where do i go now???

can i post photos here??