720 front clip

Farmer Joe

so what are the differences between the 78-79 620 front suspension and the 720 front suspension. im wanting to put a disc brake front clip under the front of my 620. i was plannin on just getting a front clip from a 620, but 620s around here are scarce, if none.

so could i put a 720 front clip under my 620? are the front body mounts the same? what about the frame? is it the same width and whatnot? and what about the steering?

does anyone have a pic of a late 620 front clip and a 720 front clip?

thanks

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The front disc brakes on the '78-'79 620 are the same as the '80-'83.5 720 2wd. However, while the 620 steering box and idler arm are inside the front frame rails beside the motor, the 720 steering box and idler arms were moved outside the frame rails. The 620 uses a one piece column and steering box that mounts to the frame with three through bolts. The bolt pattern is not an exact match to the 720 frame. The 720 uses a separate column that splines to the steering box with a pinch bolt. The column is also splined to collapse in case of an accident, has a rag joint to reduce vibration and a small U joint. As for body fit, my '78 is mounted to an '82 720 2wd frame and the cab fit perfectly.

If I were doing this, (just an opinion) I would get an '83 or newer 720 2wd non power steering front clip, and cut off just behind the rear torsion bar mounts. I would have said cut further forward, but I can't say if the '76 620/720 torsion bars are compatible. Cut your '76 frame to match and weld together keeping the entire 720 steering and suspension geometry intact. Remove the 620 steering box and column and install the 720 one. This will take some fabricating but I have a 720 column in my 620 so it can be done. Use your L series motor mounts on the 720 frame, the tranny will work on the 720 frame without mods.

Why the later '84 frame? Well the '80-'83.5 would work too, but after '83.5 the front brakes got a major up grade to vented rotors and a much larger caliper to go with the new Z24 motor. So for the same amount of work, why the hell not?

At that point, why not just use the whole frame? The VIN is on the front part anyway.

well i dont really want to do a frame swap since ive already notched this frame. and i just dont want the drums or kingpins anymore.

that 83 and newer thing sound like what i need to do. i guess it time to start looking at the junkyard for a clip.

2eDeYe;102847'']Save $150 and buy BEEBANI's control arms. THen you can swap in the 720 balljoint stuff. You can also upgrade the brakes if you grab the spindles from an 83 or newer with the vented brakes.

he makes a control arm to get rid of the kingpin? reeeeaaaly?

there any pics of em?