Fuel Filter

goldengarat

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ra5272UYrfxHCg8x8

Can anyone tell me what are the parts I've circled in this pic are please? The one not circled is the fuel pump, the one circled on the left I was told is the fuel filter. I'm losing my mind trying to get parts right. I bought 2 fuel filters and still not sure if I got the right one(s). Goddamn eBay and RockAuto! Why the fuck does RockAuto have like 3 different fuel filters? Can't I just find a site that isn't gonna fuck with me? I don't know that much bout parts or vehicles much, so would be great to not fuck up ordering parts. If I can't order a correct part then I'm just wasting money, makes no sense. Going to an auto parts store don't seem too great to me cause it seems like I'm paying more at those places.

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the factory fuel filter. The thing you circled up higher in that picture appears to be the corresponding unit.
s-l500.jpg

This is a standard in line fuel filter.  The thing you circled a little lower and to the left in your picture looks to be one of these.

fassinlinefilter_4_1_5000x.png?v=1569188

So, likely, you currently have two fuel filters in your setup.  There is nothing directly wrong with this, though it often indicates that there is a rust problem inside the tank.

You can replace your fuel filters with a factory replacement or with the more common metal style.  It doesn't really matter.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the help! I do have the plastic filter you showed above. The metal filter, is that one on RockAuto? I do have a metal filter that looks sorta like that one. It's more flat on one side with the nozzle and round on the other side nozzle.

Great rust is not something I wanna hear regarding a fuel tank......

Separate question, is the distributor cap easy to change?

Edited by goldengarat
  • Like 1

ACtC-3cvl0EcBYmbf_WHj-tOKDdBoSCVj-vK3HY_2VYS3YLhFX782-JjaBQfOmis47TFVLkcl3gCW9huNRVKRCMguXTD-WSAu9Jp-BcyjS9MEODW2dCa6COmoAyYz00VcGd4hi312hTxKgqQshmHnVUZhc8MDw=w495-h880-no?authuser=0

You're original electric pump has been replaced with an in line pump. The round thing bolted to the frame. There should be ONE, filter between tank and pump to protect it from debris. The lower thing in red circle... probably another filter does not need to be there. The top circled filter looks correct for a 720.

There's no telling how the previous owner connected this up, they make poor engineers. From the tank gas goes to the top plastic fuel filter (inlet/outlet does not matter but diagrammatically the rear most fitting is from the tank) from the filter outlet to the inlet of the electric pump, from the outlet of the electric pump to the fuel line to the front of the truck. Two filters is redundant so get rid of it. It also restricts the pump.

• Like 1

Not really, what you're saying is that the one closest the tank will not do it's job and the second one will. By that reasoning why not 3 or 5 filters??? They are in series so the one closest the pump will collect all the rust and debris and be the only one to plug.

Liquid pumps can push to almost any pressure imaginable but are limited in how well they can draw liquid in. The most powerful pump in the world cannot lift more than about 30 feet. Every effort must be made to reduce the work a pump must do, specially electric ones. This is why it is mounted as close to the tank and as low as possible to reduce pipe length and restriction. A second filter just adds restriction and you don't want that.

• Like 1

Regarding the distributor cap, yes its easy to change.  Since there are a large number of wires that have to go in the same place as they currently are though, I suggest you either flag them, or remove the cap on the truck and leave the wires on it.  Then install the new cap on the distributor for orientation.  Then move the wires one by one so you know where they go.  If you do cap, you should do rotor under cap as well.  Unless you know what you are looking for, you should just consider them to need swapping as a set.

• Like 1

Thank you for the info fellas. Just changed the fuel filter and left the metal fuel filter off. So just running the plastic one now.

Turns out that I had some air leaking, maybe from the carb. Connected those hoses again and now she is running pretty normal. Got my damn truck going again!

I had help, my hoses all around on my truck need to be replaced from what I was told. They are deteriorating.

Edited by goldengarat
  • Like 1
42 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

On the tank side of the fuel pump, if a hose clamp is loose, air can get sucked in and it's hard to draw fuel. If on the output side, a loose hose or clamp will leak fuel under pressure.

Good to know, thank you!

• Like 1