Datsun 620 Diff rebuild?

AJM

Hi, I recently bought a 1972 620 and it has what appears to be a stock rear end. Getting pretty bad grinding noise in neutral at highway speed and noticeable rotational play in the diff, I suspect it needs at minimum the backlash adjusted, side bearings replaced, or possibly a full rebuild.

I'm having trouble sourcing parts, so far I've found the conical side bearings/races, pinion bearing, oil seal. No luck at all finding the spacers needed to set backlash, or the crush sleeve for the pinion gear.

Anyone know if there's a source for these parts? Or a decent shop in the LA area which would be able to work on the diff? This is my first datsun and first rear end rebuild so any advice would be stellar.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh okay, that makes sense. are more recent nissan 3rd members compatible with old 620 rear ends? From what I'm reading it seems I have an H190 in there, if its a stock 72' 620. 

Would I need to find a 3rd member out of another 620 or are there any more common ones that would fit? Maybe the hardbodies?

5 hours ago, AJM said:

Oh okay, that makes sense. are more recent nissan 3rd members compatible with old 620 rear ends? From what I'm reading it seems I have an H190 in there, if its a stock 72' 620. 

Would I need to find a 3rd member out of another 620 or are there any more common ones that would fit? Maybe the hardbodies?

You need the h190 diff, other years had different ratios so be aware of that.... 

I dont believe the differentials are any different from the 520 all the way to the 720.... 

I have a 521 and I found the axle seal for the hub was slightly smaller but eveything else was the same...

For parts try nissan and search for the earliest year they list ... probably an 84 720... parts should be the same....

I used the wheel bearing axle shims for that year on my 72 521 axle....

Also try https://www.carpartsmanual.com/

You can find the oem number there to crossreference....

2wd 4 cylinder D21 Hardbodys had the H-190 and so did the Xterra but by then the engines were getting larger displacement and the gearing down in the 3.70s or lower.

Your 521 has a 4.375. If you only drive it and not carry loads a 3.90 will lower the highway RPMs nicely.

All 620 4 or 5 speeds were 4.375 with the exception of the '79, some of which had an optional 4.11 differential.

The '73 and 74 with L16 and L18 engines and automatic were 4.625. All L20B automatics were 4.375

The 720 had a mixture of differential ratios from 3.364, 3.545, 3.70, 3.889, 4.11 and 4.375 depending on year, engine type and body. All 2wds had the H-190 Some early 4x4s did but the flange for the driveshaft was different. The 720 had an engine tag on the inner passenger side fender below the hood hinge. Lower line:

TRANS/AXLE............................ FS5W71B / HF43 would be 4.375, 38 is 3.889 and so on