Project ain't never gonna be done 74 260Z

I picked this Z up almost 5 years ago as my first ever project car. It was a project car of a previous owner who got burnt out on it and sold it. The previous owner swapped in a SR20DET but never touched  the interior or exterior of the car. When I picked it up the interior mostly Mia and the paint was pealing off the car. I started this project almost 4 years ago striping off all the old paint and getting it ready for my first time painting. I got all of my paint products from tcp global. I'm removed the hood, doors, fenders and hatch to paint them separately from the car. I finished painting car 3 years ago and it just sat as life happened. After finishing painting the car winter came and I wasn't able to do a lot until spring time, spring came and i picked up another project car (big mistake). Last year I got rid of that project car and was ready to start on Z again and then them covid 19 hit. I work at a grocery store and the pandemic caused compile chaos at the store. From March 2020 to February 2021 I have worked 6 days a week 60+ hours  a week so hardly anything got done to the Z last year. Things are getting better at the store as I'm not working 60+ hours but I'm still working 6 days for the time being. Lots of mistakes were made in painting the car as I will get into. Fenders, doors and the hatch had surface rust that I didn't properly treat so the rust started bubbling through the paint so I had to stripe them down again and treat the rust and primer the parts. I was able to get that done last year. Now to the doors, I really don't know what I did wrong on the doors as it was 3 years ago. I can remember i was rushing to get them painted as weather was changing and cold weather was coming and my paint booth is outside in a tent made from tarps. The paint is pealing off the doors (hopefully I can post pics), this is what I think I did wrong I believe after striping then doors down to bare metal I treated them with a self-etching primer and then painted the base coat on the self-etching primer but I'm not positive as it was 3 years ago. I'm going to start striping the doors down next weather permitting. I always wanted to start a project thread so here it goes.

WIN_20210311_14_18_21_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210311_14_18_27_Pro.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The previous owner did the swap. The SR is plenty powerful to pull an S30 body around and I would guess at least 50 hp more than the L26 and perhaps up to twice as much. Also EFI turbo blah blah blah. Myself I would stick a V8 in there.

Nissan's fault. The early S30 sold so well they couldn't keep them on the lots. Dealers would blanket ordered them any color any transmission (it didn't matter because they sold anyway) and loaded them up with 200 pounds of options because they get a cut... and it didn't matter what the customer wanted because they would sell regardless. So along comes the S31, a bloated and heavy road barge priced out of the range of younger available owners and heavy with ridiculous options suitable for an old man who wants mostly driver comfort and the illusion of sporty. Just look what happened to the early Thunderbird.