1980 Datsun 510 (A10) Regulator Bypass?

I bought a new alternator for my car with an internal regulator and it isn't making enough volts so I need to take out the cars regulator. I've found a few guides for earlier 510s but not the A10, and just wanted to make sure I was doing it right. I'm also not sure which one is the regulator. There's a smaller rounder one and a larger more rectangular one, the smaller one has blue, black, and green. The bigger one has yellow, black, green, white, blue, and white/black. Which one is the regulator and how do I bypass it? Thanks!     

IMG_20210227_140357197_HDR.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Internally regulated alternators were fitted to all '78 and up Nissans. So your A10 will already have one and will not have an external regulator.

What you are looking at is probably the horn relay on the left (unplug and see if horn works) and the the other is something but not a volt regulator.

Isn't making volts???? I assume the old one wasn't making volts either???

First I would make sure the battery posts and clamps are clean and tight.

Then that the ground wire to the intake is clean and tight.

Get a test lamp ($3) and remove one of the battery cables and place the lamp between. Does it light up?? If it does you may have a draw

Is the fan belt tight?

Is the battery any good? Maybe get tested to see if it will take and hold a charge.

My battery was dying, and I was pretty sure it was the cheapo battery I bought but I figured I may as well have the alternator replaced anyways, I called back the store but I guess the old one has already been sent back to be recycled. Are you sure my car doesn't have a regulator? I looked up "1980 datsun 510 voltage regulator" and found some for sale that looked a lot like what I posted earlier, and some say they are for the '80 model year too.  

Never replace anything unless it's proven to be bad. The quality of the old alternator is better than the newer ones that are cheaply made or reconditioned with inferior parts, usually overseas. When possible hang onto old parts. A dealership alternator goes for almost $400 with the dealer getting almost half that in mark up. So a good quality replacement would be over $200. 

There was the original 510 or PL510 from '68-'73 but years later Nissan produced another car the A10 and called it also a 510 or HL510 so people get them mixed up.

The last externally regulated alternators were used on the '77 model year Datsuns. All after that were internally regulated.

Take the alternator back it would seem to be the problem. It probably has the 'lifetime warranty' so keep taking them back.

Mike is right (it happens a lot).

The catalog does not list an external regulator. The only other thing I can check is my quick reference book but that is at work.

Cross reference part # 23100-W5807R. This is a 60A Alt. Is it possible the parts house got you one for a 1st gen 510?

The two units in the picture, where are they located in the vehicle?

Assuming Mike is right (see above), and one is the horn relay, I suspect the other would be the ignition relay.

If there are readable part #'s on them, please post them in here and I may be able to figure out what they are.

Should have 10 digits and start with 25230.

Where in the Land of Enchiladas are you located?

Poor person... Always give the year and say A10 so the parts guy will separate the earlier PL510 from the later HL510.

3 hours ago, KELMO said:

Assuming Mike is right (see above), and one is the horn relay, I suspect the other would be the ignition relay.

Oh I'm right about the horn relay alright. react_haha.png

4 hours ago, KELMO said:

Mike is right (it happens a lot).

The catalog does not list an external regulator. The only other thing I can check is my quick reference book but that is at work.

Cross reference part # 23100-W5807R. This is a 60A Alt. Is it possible the parts house got you one for a 1st gen 510?

The two units in the picture, where are they located in the vehicle?

If there are readable part #'s on them, please post them in here and I may be able to figure out what they are.

Should have 10 digits and start with 25230.

Where in the Land of Enchiladas are you located?

I live near Silver City, the two relays where under a black plastic cover right next to the battery. The numbers are pretty far gone and trying to clean them may make them worse, I already accidentally destroyed a few other numbers while cleaning. I'll try getting a new alternator, my car's my daily so hopefully that's all it'll take to get it back on the road. 

I think it will.

Try to locate a Nissan published Factory Service Manual (FSM) for your year A10. They are the BIBLE when working on your car or curious about something. E-Bay probably will have one if you keep an eye out. Anywhere from $25- $75 and pretty much pay for themselves the first time you use it. Covers EVERYTHING. Haynes and others just copy the information from the FSM and a Haynes manual will cover all years of A 10 and not specifically your year.

Take a photo of the engine bay  I bet there is not volt reg on the side

By 1978 most if not all USA Datsun were Internal volt reg. so giving away a good alternator that was making 14volts was about the dumbest thing I heard. As the Vato zone alternator might be worst and they only last 8 months what I seen.

If you got 14volts at the battery with the volt meter than everything worked OK and then battery had to be the issue. No water in there ,bad cell. 

run the car with the lights and heater on at 2k rpm and then ck the voltage again if really low then the output of the alt was weal and your daring the batter with a load.(all the accessories on)