Turn Signals Went Kaput

Stinky

I was driving my ;86 720 720 around today and the turn signal stopped working.  I'm not sure that they both (sides R&L) stopped at the same time, but it may have, if not, it was within a few turns of each other.

If you put the flashers on, only the right side goes on.  But, if you flip the turn signal to the left, they all come on (at least looking at the green arrows on the dash).  This afternoon, I don't think that it did anything when you put the turn-signal to the right.  

I just went out to verify that (about the rt turn signal not doing anything).  But, all 4 hazard lights came on, so I couldn't test that.

I checked all the fuses, and did not find any burnt ones.  Which fuse should it be?  I do not have the plastic cover for the fuse box that shows what the fuses go to.

Any possibility that the flasher is bad?

What else am I missing?

• Like 1
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1/ If turn signals on one side works, the flasher and the fuse is fine. Has to be. Don't go by the green dash light, get out and look

2/ If all four light with the 4 way flasher the wiring and bulbs are OK.

If only the left side doesn't work but 1/ and 2/ above, then it's in the turn signal switch. Try turning on and off a few dozen times. The grease gets dry and collects dirt. You may get it going by spraying electrical contact cleaner/ lubricant on it. But best to take the plastic clam shell cover off the steering column to get at it.

• Like 1

Try messing around with the flasher switch position.  These are known for suddenly disconnecting all turn signals.  I've had multiple trucks with very fussy flasher switches where everything worked only if the switch was in just the right place.

• Like 1

Twas the flasher.  Funny, when I swapped them it was most peculiar.  They only worked in the original position.  When swapped, the signals didn't work, and the flashers either.

I could tell which one clicked, and put it back in the original spot, I had flashers.  I swapped in one of the flashers from my parts trucking seems fine.

• Like 1

It's the hazard switch. The contacts inside get dirty and the grease gets old and dried up. Sometimes just moving the hazard switch back and fourth making the contacts touchwill get you by for a while. I have fixed several of trucks with this problem by taking the switch apart and cleaning it and putting new grease in it. Or just replace it with a new one.