Temp gauge and Tachometer don't work

Buckner99

Hello, I've had this 1984 Nissan 720 for quite a while now. I've done the timing chain replacement as well as the timing cover replacement, spark plugs, wires, full tune up. new water pump, starter, everything on the front of the block has been replaced. went through my Chilton book multiple times. The one thing i have a question about is my gauge cluster. Ever since I've owned this truck my temp gauge, and my tachometer do not work. My fuel gauge works as well as speedometer, oil pressure, battery (oil and battery are by the shifter) My sensor light is on but I do not know how to read OBD1 Vehicles. most people on here affiliate tachometer and temp gauge with the fuel gauge. In this case I'm assuming that my gauge cluster is bad. Id like to know where the CTS is located so I can check it out. I've torn the dash off to fix a bunch of shorts and loose wires, but everything going to the cluster is all intact. Everything with the engine and performance is fixed, and now I am trying to work on cosmetics. thanks.

• Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your truck is not obd 1.  The sensor light is not a check engine light.  Its on a mileage based timer.  You simply s disconnect and leave it disconnected.  That is actually how it's designed.

To test temp gauge, disconnect the wire from the temp sensor and ground the wire directly to the engine block..  Temp gauge should peg to full hot.  If the temp gauge goes to hot with that solid grounding, then your gauge works fine.

Corrosion between wire and temp sensor in engine is common.  Brush both clean.  Sensor could also be bad.  Lots of info online about testing temp sensors.

CTS?

Tach requires a resistor to operate. It may be the resistor is bad or gone.  Resistor is in the harness, in engine bay, drivers side fender.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Lockleaf said:

Your truck is not obd 1.  The sensor light is not a check engine light.  Its on a mileage based timer.  You simply s disconnect and leave it disconnected.  That is actually how it's designed.

To test temp gauge, disconnect the wire from the temp sensor and ground the wire directly to the engine block..  Temp gauge should peg to full hot.  If the temp gauge goes to hot with that solid grounding, then your gauge works fine.

Corrosion between wire and temp sensor in engine is common.  Brush both clean.  Sensor could also be bad.  Lots of info online about testing temp sensors.

CTS?

Tach requires a resistor to operate. It may be the resistor is bad or gone.  Resistor is in the harness, in engine bay, drivers side fender.

I feel very uneducated, and  I appreciate the response. now all the wiring on my driver side fender had been messed with when I got the truck. It was all wire nutted together so I bought a cole hersee terminal block and distributed the wires out so it was a lot more clean looking. If you knew the color of the wire going to the resistor that would be very helpful. I will be doing alot more research about it. not that its an issue, I shift by sound. but adjusting the carb and such is difficult with not knowing  what RPM the truck is at. Thank you. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

The SENSOR lamp is a reminder to replace the O2 sensor in the exhaust.

Thank you for that info. alot I dont know about these trucks. Bought it about 6 months ago, and have been fixing things left and right. very thankful I found this forum. Its saved me a lot of work so far. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

White /Blue stripe to the resister from the coil -,  and Black/Blue from the resistor to the gauge.

Resister

2PfytkP.jpg

Thank you so much! I just found the wire going to my temp sensor completely disconnected from the connector. touched it to ground, gauge needle started going towards hot. spliced a new spade connector on the wire and plugged it in. so if its a bad resistor, are they possible to get on rockauto or something like that? I would probably just visit my local junkyard.

• Like 1