Trying to get back in the game

freaky510

So I was asked to make a post.

Some of you might known me from over the years...

I grew up in Spokane Wa. I ran into Creepy Cruiser while I was in High School. He had a 2dr 510. I feel in Love instantly with his car!!!  I had to have one!!

I then got in the Datsun seen about 5 years later. I have had a few over the years.

My first Datsun. I found it in a field outside of Spokane Wa. While building a custom home. It was a 70 2d.

The previous owner told me he just had the motor rebuild and it was making a funny noise and he was done with it. So I picked it up a hauled it back to the jobsite up in Priest River I was working at. My boss a Ol'Skool Datsun guy figured out that it was a nut off the air cleaner. Amazingly we got the head off and removed the nut with the random tools we had on the jobsite.  I then started  playing around with learning how modify these motor, to get some power... some.  It got some BAD cancer that was beyond my ability in repairing it. I then sold it.😢  I then found out the guy who bought it. Wanted it for only the interior, after I sold it to him. It was in pretty mint condition.. Then he crushed it and got the $$$ for recycling it... Yeah I was pretty pissed!!! I would have turned it into a something car... Drag, autocross, shit anything...

My second Datsun is my 4dr a buddy found it in Spokane.  I found out that the previous owner used to autocross it with a group in Spokane. It came with some vintage suspension components.  So I decided to keep racing it. Over the years. Until about 7 years ago when I left me wife and became a single dad with 2 kids that had zero interest in cars... Fail...So  I started messing with the 4dr again after years of sitting trying getting to run again. I put pretty much put all the cool guy stuff I had for the motor on it. Weber 45, Big ass Norris cam,header, exhaust, custom clutch made,  I got it running again. Then it sucked a pair of pantyhose through and bent some valves..I was trying to make some sort of air filter.. I fixed it and had it running again for a while then it died... I have had a few people look at it and we were/are all lost...

Then I found my 411 down in Eugene Or.  After a few weeks of cleaning it up and having some keys made. It fired right up.   I then got it running pretty good. I want to do something unique with it. I spent some time thinking. Should I turn it into a 4x4, make a drag car or just leave it stock..  Nope I  decided to put it on air baggs and asked/had to have a disc brake mod made..

And....Then life kicked me in the balls .. I became Epileptic... Lame excuse I know, but I guess you could say fear of having seizures, loss of memory and heartbreak.. Killed it for me.

I then bought one of the UGLIEST 78 510 I have ever seen. It was meant as a incentive for the boy to get his license... Kids... Anyways It had a broken rod or something(Been to long since I bought it) broke... Soonen day I decided to put the modded motor out of the 70 into the 78. I have been working at for the last week now and man I have forgot a lot of the basic shit. So my plan is to TDC cam on the motor out of the 70. It has been WAY!! WAY!! advanced..( I have had a few people tell me it won't work this way.. But it has..) I have ran into a few small issues with this swap. Sad part is. It the basic crap😄😢 But I am curious on  how it will run behind a auto vs stick before I TDC the cam. I hope to have it going here soon. But with work, weather and lack of a garage is has put a hamper on some of the motivation... I need to get the trans and motor to mate up right.. a few vacuum lines and invent a linkage for the carbFreaky's new 411 - Page 6 - 410/411 - Ratsun Forums.image.jpeg.d50be9f9cbcf35259132d15c9bae5368.jpegFrEaKy510 1971 Datsun 510 Specs, Photos, Modification Info at CarDomainFrEaKy510 1971 Datsun 510 Specs, Photos, Modification Info at CarDomain

• Like 4
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That PL411 is freakishly low in the front end.  It will be a tire shredder in any thing greater than a slow wide turn.  Probably has too much front coil spring clipping.

The window wipers also need to be re-synched.  They don't stop that way even by shutting off the engine with the wipers running.  A good vehicle to restore from the looks of it.  Good Luck.

Edited by MikeRL411
typo

The 411 is on air bags no springs in front and a few leafs removed in the rear. I can drag a pack of smokes down the road. It needs a little love still, but I need a better daily than my G.....The wheels were givin to me from Pumpkin. Amazingly it turns pretty good. Those wheels will be going on the 78, once I have the the swap done and all the bolts double checked. Yeah there is a few things  need to do to the 411 still. But it's gong to wait until I have the 78 going then my Squareback.

Edited by freaky510
On 11/4/2020 at 8:10 PM, ]2eDeYe said:

Good to see you still at it 🙂

I'm tryin too...Probably forgot more than I knew over the years. 

Right now I am reinventing a linkage for the DCOE. The ones I found are a little more than I thought they would be and wanna spend right now. Plus the 3-4 week shipping... I need to get it goin so I can Sell me G and maybe a Datsun. Or my Sailboat. 

• Like 1