1984 720 Kingcab 4x4.. Heater issue

TrulyTrashy

Hey, my heater stopped working one day and i havnt been able to fix it since... Checked all the fuses and ran a new ground wire to the blue wire (as per suggestion from a seperate post on here) but still nothing.. Maybe my motor went bad?? Any ideas are appreciated

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two fuses are needed.

The 6th one over from the left side of the box (15 amp) It powers the heater relay. It's plugged in to the top of the fuse box. The relays are 1" square-ish plastic. The very far right one is for the headlights, the one next to it on the left is the heater relay. Should hear or feel a click when ignition is turned on. 

The 10th fuse over from the left side of the box (20amp) is the one that powers the fan motor. Use a test lamp on the Red/Yellow wire on the heater relayor on the motor itself which ever is easiest to get at. Should have 12v any time the ignition is ON or ACCY.

If everything checks out turn on and give the motor a wrap with a wooden hammer handle. It might start working again but this is not a fix.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, None_zero said:

Does anyone have a picture of the fuse box cover they could post of the 84 720 it would be insanely helpful and I cant find it anywhere. I cant make heads or tails of the wiring diagrams on the net 

Actually I think I found it on here finally

• Like 1

Ok I was wrong the pic i found wasn't really helpful because my relay posts are in the wrong position rather than order another expensive relay which i cant ever find... (that's why I got a "cruise control relay" with the same arrangement of blades hoping it would plug right in and let me play.) However upon closer inspection I realized that I had the relay harness wired incorrectly as well or more accurately it was missing a wire and the fuse for the relay and the fuse for the blower power were as well... thus no power. I recall that when I hooked all that back up last spring I was trying to match up colors of multiple severed lines all at once instead of one by one and I got confused over the blue wire with 2 red dots which goes up from the fuse block and splits I keep thinking somehow I'm jumping the relay in this damn circuit and I dont want to power it up and end up back at square 1. Or in this case cube one..... the relay is a .... nm. Anyone have the wiring diagrams for that relay?

• Like 1

Is it different than 85 or 86?  I have lotsof fuse box covers but they are not tagged as to year.  I on a 84 king cab 2 wd ST with all the power options but I am not sure if it has a fuse box cover.  I will go to storage and seeif it does.

Here is the Power Distribution scan from a 1983.5 Factory Service Manual which covers early 1984 also.

Late-1983-to-Early-1984-720-Power-Distri

Here is the 1986 for comparison.

1986-720-Power-Distribution.png

Edited by Charlie69
  • Thanks 1