510 headlamp relay upgrade wiring

Sinfull

Hi everyone,

So decided to bring my headlamps and their wiring into the 21st century like so many have done.  hunted around for diagrams and how to's and found the following diagram which resembles what i think the best way to do it.

However I cant seem to figure out how the low beams switch on via the switch earth. 

First I believe there was a typo in the diagram for the Hi-Beams.  The creator has written down R/B from headlamp Hi Beam Switch, I believe this should read B/R so that the relay is grounded via high beam switch.

The Lo Beams however have me a little confused when trying to read his diagram, to me they will always be on because the +12v red wire from the fuse box is a constant power and he is saying to earth via terminal 85 which will engage the relay.  My thought is, you should ground terminal 85 via the Red/Yellow wire coming from the headlight switch(this is based on the 71 510 wiring diagram) so again they will only turn on when you turn the headlights on.  am I missing something or what i'm saying is correct and some mistakes have been made in the diagram?

Finally the HB indicator - i'm assuming the red/white wire going into the dash board is cut and the diode is soldered in between.

510-Lighting-Flash-to-Pass-Final.jpg

510wiringheadlamp1.jpg510wiringheadlamp1.jpg

thanks for your guidance.

Mat.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The relay for the low beams is normally off. It's turned on by the +12 from the fuse box but one way or the other it has to go through the lighting switch. This looks complicated. There are wiring kits that just plug into the headlight harness for the hi/low trigger to separate relays with heavier wire, fuses and connections directly to the headlamps, battery and ground. The hi beam indicator remains the same on the old harness because it is untouched.

Something like this. Everything below is in the kit including larger gauge wiring. The far top right is one of the old headlight sockets that simply provides the hi or low beam signal to trigger the new relays. Simple as connecting the +12 volt supply, a ground, pulling the old sockets off (using one for the signal) and plugging the new sockets onto the headlights

accepscbl0201-graf01-web.jpg

why don't you buy a H4 harness and plug it in to the orginal plug in on one side to trigger the new harness and your done.  Like Mike has posted above.

this is just the 2 headlight kit as most of the driving is on outer lamps anyways

there is a 4 lamps kit also but I don't think its needed as the inner highs are 50 watts anyways. might be a little harder on the fuse box

no fucking with the dioad crap. mine has a jumper to make it positive or negative switch and it lights up the indicator fine

No need to fuck up the stock harness

my kit don't have a inline fuse

Go complete 4 lamp. The old wires are.... old and light gauge. They also have to travel all the way into the car from the battery, over to the lamp switch and back out all the way to the lamps through the light relay. There's going to be some voltage drop. I made my own with 10 gauge wire for everything, through relays to the lamps. I used two 40? amp fusible links one for each side and each pair had their own 10 gauge ground to the body. The power only travels about a meter from battery to right side lamps and 2 meters to the driver's side   The plan was Halogen or xenon bulbs with high wattage... but then changed it to four 55 watt HID which is about the same as the stock tungsten bulbs.