Newer in tank fuel pump in a 521

Socalman

So I want to convert my 521 to a Sniper fuel injection system, after discussing with Holley technician, I would need a in tank fuel pump, so I am hoping someone knows if a newer fuel injected Nissan Fuel tank will fit in our 521s? I asked about an external fuel pump and they do not recommend it. This is what he said..,

High pressure pumps cannot feed themselves. They push great but don’t pull. So a submerged pump runs quiet, cool and happy with a long long service life in all circumstances. 

External pumps require you to engineer a fuel line to the pump inlet that can feed the pump full flow where all the pump has to do is pressurize what is coming in.  That’s impossible to do wrong when the pump is submerged.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't NEED an in tank pump. Nissan made tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of external electric pumps for their 280z, 280zx, 810, Maxima, S110 200sx and the Z24i in the 720 for their EFI. ALL pumps, mechanical and electric, push much better than pull. Just get an external pump and mount as low and as close to the tank as you can, and call it good.

You will need upgraded high pressure hoses and clamps and a return line from the FPR.

14 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

In tank pumps are quieter, more reliable, and generally cheaper since they make millions of them...

Yes to all, and if I could have either I would take the in tank but retro fitting one into a 521will be a chore so I would opt  for the in line.