620 Stock Looking Wheels & Hubcaps - Anyone weld the 3-balls on?

EDIT UPDATE:

Just discovered the 14x5 have different offset (more negative/inward - perhaps went with the ball joint models?) resulting in the following RUB problems with 205/75r14's:

*) 205/75r14 on 14x5 mildly RUB the inner side on the bed side

*) 205/75r14 on 14x4.5 RUB on the front inner fenders when turned to lock

NEWLY REALIZED PROBLEM:

*) 205/75r14 on 14x5 on the front are going to RUB significantly @ lock

This trashes my whole concept of getting 14x5 rims and running bigger tires.  If I want to run 205's I need to get another 4.5" rim for my spare!

HOW are people running Titan wheels/tires???

I have a set of 14 x 4.5 stock wheels w/caps for my 1974 620. 

I also have (2) 14 x 5.0 late-620 stock wheels that have the "racetrack" slots ring.

I want to keep the OE look. 

*) While I would settle for 2 more late-620 "slots", it may be easier to find a later model that would look OE.

*) I don't care about the rim diameter but I'd like 5" wide or even 5.5 or 6.0  don't need more than that.

*) Want to run the baby hubcaps.  Obviously "3-ball" rims would be a slam dunk.  However if 720's or latter models have a similar cap with no markings, logo, etc. (since the OE ones have none) that would also work.

From what I can tell the 720 and D21 did not have hubcaps and obviously "no balls!'  (Arf Arf)

But hey, I'm a good welder and I found you can buy soft steel balls.  So I don't see why I couldn't make a welding jig and mod any steel wheel I can find.  Looks like the common D21 is only a 14x5 which is not cool.  14x6 would be better.  They did make a 15x6 4x4 steel but I've got a deal on 14" 215/70's I am lusting over.  There are a bazillion 6x5.5 bolt 14's out there from other makes.  But man I hate walking through junk yards... too old, bad feet, too fat!  Oh, and TOO CHEAP!  LOL

Edited by Cardinal Grammeter
  • Like 1
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much!  

I had no idea such a thing existed.  Of course finding the right one will be the effort.

However since still have to drill holes in wheel and the fact that mild steel balls are readily available, it might be a tossup as far as effort.  (The balls could be drilled and held on with a screw and nut (stainless and Locktited)

On the plus side with the clips, if one set doesn't work, it's not like you ruined the wheel even if you have to drill different holes for a different clip.

I wonder how many 620ers out there want to keep the OD baby moons?

• Like 1

I like the baby moons, depending upon the final build aesthetic.  They definitely have a classic look if the ride height isn't too low.  The lower you go the less they fit the motif, I think.  But there's definitely a place for them.  Probably find a "restore" minded builder who'd take them off your hands!

• Like 1

Please read EDIT to initial posting regarding 14x5 rims and 205/75r14 tires.  The guys are Walmart Auto discovered this offset problem.

I think I'm done with this.  While I would like wide low profile tires to lower and make handling better, rubbing appears to be problematic AND I don't need deeper "effective" final drive ratio.  While I have  5-spd to put in (waiting for clutch to wear out), I'd be giving the OD back with low profile tires.  I think the 205/75's are probably about as tall as I'd want to go.

Some tall narrow low profile 17 or 18 might work, but what are the odds of Narrow?

Edited by Cardinal Grammeter
  • Like 1
On 7/26/2020 at 5:21 PM, Cardinal Grammeter said:

Please read EDIT to initial posting regarding 14x5 rims and 205/75r14 tires.  The guys are Walmart Auto discovered this offset problem.

I think I'm done with this.  While I would like wide low profile tires to lower and make handling better, rubbing appears to be problematic AND I don't need deeper "effective" final drive ratio.  While I have  5-spd to put in (waiting for clutch to wear out), I'd be giving the OD back with low profile tires.  I think the 205/75's are probably about as tall as I'd want to go.

Some tall narrow low profile 17 or 18 might work, but what are the odds of Narrow?

Have you looked at my pictures in the other latest wheel/spacers thread? I'm running 15x10 wheels with big wide tires and have no issues with rubbing. You just have to get the right offset wheel and you should be fine.