Wiring Leap Forward- '73 620 L20B

Tony620

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In my experience, Datsun trucks tend to be under engined, and over radiated.    I am running a 1980 L-20-B engine in a 521, with a stock 521/L-16 radiator.  I do have a fan shroud, and a four blade fan.  No cooling problems, other than finding hoses that are NLA.

One of the major keys to a cool running engine is the ignition timing.  If the timing is retarded from what is optimum, the heat energy from the burning fuel just goes into the cylinder walls, and not into pushing the piston.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, DanielC said:

In my experience, Datsun trucks tend to be under engined, and over radiated.    I am running a 1980 L-20-B engine in a 521, with a stock 521/L-16 radiator.  I do have a fan shroud, and a four blade fan.  No cooling problems, other than finding hoses that are NLA.

One of the major keys to a cool running engine is the ignition timing.  If the timing is retarded from what is optimum, the heat energy from the burning fuel just goes into the cylinder walls, and not into pushing the piston.

Thanks!  I have the l20b too but the radiator is from (?), maybe a Z?  It's the same stamped Datsun radiator style seen everywhere but much wider than the 620 mount points and has a straight lower port, rather than the 90 bend to the outside.  Yesterday I didn't pay close enough attention to the lower rad hose when I tightened my alternator and the fins gouged it...  It's super tight in there so and kinda wonky the way it fits, so I'm in the market for something else.  Any opinions on aftermarket Rads?  eBay has some which seem to have the stock look and fit.  There are others, like Champion, which are more angular and look taller.  

Opinions?  I supposed I'm after effective and reliable more than pretty but stock fit makes things much easier, if possible.  2 v 3 v 4 core?  

Does the 620 use the same mount pattern as the 521 and/or 510?