Crush sleeve eliminator

josh_t

I have been on the hunt for info on crush sleeves on the H150 rear in my b210, and obviously I can't find a sleeve. But I'm also trying to figure out if it could be shimmed and reused as I've seen someone either on here or datsun1200 mention it. Either way, that's only a band aid fix. I don't like the crush sleeve idea in the first place. The 'murican cars can get crush sleeve eliminators to do away with them and just have a shim preload setup. Anyone looked into doing this? Looks like easy lathe work with the proper dimensions.

https://www.yukongear.com/productdetails.aspx?ProdID=8280

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone offers a solid pinion spacer for that diff. As you mentioned, you could shim the stock crush collar or have a machine shop make you a spacer. If you go with the machine shop option, make sure they know it has to be perfectly true. Even a couple thousandths could put a wobble in the pinion gear.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 6/16/2020 at 1:10 PM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I don't think anyone offers a solid pinion spacer for that diff. As you mentioned, you could shim the stock crush collar or have a machine shop make you a spacer. If you go with the machine shop option, make sure they know it has to be perfectly true. Even a couple thousandths could put a wobble in the pinion gear.

Im surprised no one has made one considering how straightforward it is. They make them for most popular domestic differentials. I haven't even heard of someone having one made.  While needing to be quite precise, it's also a very simple kit. A sleeve and shims.

I was just going to use muffler pipe....

Don't you just tighten the input flange bolt to a certain torque. Then test the amount of torque needed to spin the pinion? When you get the pinion bolt close check the spin torque. Tighten the nut a little and check again. Keep going a little at a time so you don't go over the turning torque spec.

For example on the H165 the pinion nut should be between 100 and 125 ft lbs. The preload is the torque required to just turn the pinion... 6 to 8.7 ft lbs. I would guess that if your pinion nut is 110 ft lbs and the preload is anywhere between 6 and 8.7 stop there. If the preload was low you could keep tightening the pinion nut as long as you didn't go over 125 ft lbs. Looks like any thin wall tubing would do as long as you get these specs. You could measure the old crush sleeve but hard to get length.

Additionally maybe a thin shim could be placed in front of or behind the old crush sleeve and the torque values checked.