Wish-Bone King-pin Lift Kit???

Ok don’t beat me up right away. I am not the first guy with this idea. About 20 years ago I was stationed in San Diego with the Navy. I was daily driving my 66-520 between Imperial Beach and Point Lima. One of many days I had to go over to 32nd Street Naval Station and one day I caught a glimpse of an early 620 that was sporting 32” runner and looked super clean. Had Baja California Mx stickers and Cali plates. But it drove away too quick. After that every trip I looked for it. One day at ouch I was over there and saw it parked and stopped. Luckily the owner was just going to lunch and only had a few minutes to brag/show and tell. His brother in Mexico had taken the kingpin mount off and then fabricated a new one moving the king pin down From a sold piece of bar stock which he welded the arms to for the brake back in plate (still drum brakes!) . As for steering arms he fabricated spacer blocks to raise the tie rods up close to factory geometry. I think he also used beefed up leading arms and modified bushings. He was was running the 32-11.5-15 Dick Cepeks with stock 520 4:86 gears and an L18 that he was hoping to replace with an upgraded L20B.  Remember this is back in the Mid 1990’s. 

that all said:

Mike, anyone, with all the learning you all have on the wishbone suspension lowering them what might be the tallest you could go lifting geometrically speaking. 2”? 3”? His was pushing 4+” as he had done a spring over in the rear, one piece driveline and the king pins seemed to be real close to the bottom knuckle. If not under it. No fancy phones back then to take pictures.

thoughts??

thanks!!

Garry

this pic from the internet is about two or three inches shorter than the truck I saw. 

1978-datsun-620-baja

• Like 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can crank the torsion bars and flip the axle in the rear too get plenty of lift.  

Control arm angles can get pretty high, but it's the same when you lower them.

30" tires will fit with some persuasion. 

I’m asking about the earlier king pin and wishbone style suspension. I know you can get a bit out of the torsion bars but then you loose travel. So just like the raised spindles for newer trucks I was getting ideas of lift spindles for the 320/520521/early 620.