I hate rust.....

Bandit240

Spent all day today working on the 620. Got the small holes in the drivers floor cleaned, primed with rust killer, sealed up with aluminum tape and painted. After that was done i started picking at all the little rust bubbles. Talk about a good way to get depressed, the rockers are shot, both front fenders have holes in the bottom and the bed has holes in the front corners. Im going to patch over the rockers with sheet metal and bondo the fenders. As for the bed, ive been thinking of making a flat bed to go on it for years now. Has anyone on here made a flatbed, or had a truck with one. This isnt a show truck, its a hard used work truck. I built a headache rack for it since i couldnt find a factory style one anywhere. The rack bolts right to the bed where the front piece bolted on.

IMG_1523.jpg

Im also going to repaint it soon. Im thinking a light grey colour.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, im not too fazed by the rust, just kinda kicking myself in the ass for not taking a little better care to keep it good. When i got the truck, it had very little rust on it. Ive been useing it for the last 3 years pulling a boat around and ive lived on a boat most of that time. Its been in a high salt world for the last 3 years.

Now what does worry me is i found a large rust hole on the frame. Its above the drivers side front leaf spring mount. Im going to pull the bed off in the next few days and see how to go about fixing it.

I would be getting pictures of this stuff, but my 3 year old killed the camera.

I got the bed off today and started working on the back of the frame. The crossmember in front of the fuel tank was full of dirt and rocks. Its also rusted out pretty bad in that area. Got all the the back of the frame wire brushed down and painted with some rust killer.

Now im trying to figure if i want to go ahead and make a flatbed to go on the back or spend a few days working on it.

got any better pictures of how its made and how it mounts. If i make one im going to try make it to mount on the stock bed mounts. That way if/when i get another 620, i can transfer it if i want. I can see in the pics that it mounts to the stock mounts.

It looks as if yours has a metal floor. Im going to do a wood floor on mine, save some weight.

Its if out here. I can't find any that are worth a damn. I know a guy that has at least 2 or 3. He has a shortcab/bed with a tow body on the back. He was going to put the tow body on a king cab, but i think he lost interest in it. I might go talk to him and see if i can make him a trade for them. As much as i like my F250, i might try trade it for all his 620's.

I went out to check out the other trucks, most have gone to the crusher. He kept the tow truck, but it doesnt look like it will be used again.

Theres a really rusted long bed in a field, i might go check it out and see if the frame is ok on it. I know the body is shot.