new 620 front calipers are too tight...

Getting the front end back together. Anyone ever had their stock front calipers/pads fit too tight from new? Can't get the pistons to push back any further... one side I was at least able to get them over the new rotor but drag heavy. Other side I can't get even get the caliper all the way on. What gives? How far should the pistons on these push in?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you pushed the pistons back did you loosen the bleeder on the caliper? You don't want the old over heated brake fluid that's been in the calipers for years, saved. Try loosening the bleeder and try the following...

Put one of the old pads over the piston and use a large C clamp to compress it

22 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

When you pushed the pistons back did you loosen the bleeder on the caliper? You don't want the old over heated brake fluid that's been in the calipers for years, saved. Try loosening the bleeder and try the following...

Put one of the old pads over the piston and use a large C clamp to compress it

These are both new reman calipers, new rotors and new pads. Both sides are basically the same with one side being just a little worse. Ive tried squeezing the pisons together with a c clamp and didn't gain any. Just dropped the rotors off to have them turned down a little... couldn't think of any other solution. So strange.

4 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Did you measure the rotors?

3 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Should be 0.492" thick.

I did measure them... that is 12.49mm and these were about 12.69mm

They took 15thou off and they fit right in... assume it was just crappy build on the rotors...

22 hours ago, datzenmike said:

12.69 is 0.499986" almost exactly 1/2".

Yeah... just over what they should be for some reason I guess. They took the .015 off and they fit now. Probably still a little more drag than I'd  prefer for being brand new, but best ill get without pulling it all apart and having them turned down further.

Anyone know what these calipers fit stock? The ebay listing is from zcardepot but they haven't responded to my message. I've never heard of another bolt on caliper for the 620's?! They claim direct bolt in replacement? I don't see the same kit on their website and it's odd that this listing states that they are good from 75-79... 

620 caliper upgrade kit

Front caliper upgrade for Datsun 620 truck 1975-79.  Direct replacement for stock calipers with brake hoses and pads included.  This kit will get rid of the difficult to find and service stock calipers. All new or new/reman parts.   

*Requires the use of 15" or larger wheels or the use of a spacer with 14" wheels.  

Only the '78 and up had disc brakes. They look somewhat like 280z front caliper with the square pads. Says it gets rid of difficult to find stock calipers but what happens when you need pads for these????
1 minute ago, datzenmike said:

Front caliper upgrade for Datsun 620 truck 1975-79.  Direct replacement for stock calipers with brake hoses and pads included.  This kit will get rid of the difficult to find and service stock calipers. All new or new/reman parts.   

*Requires the use of 15" or larger wheels or the use of a spacer with 14" wheels.  

Only the '78 and up had disc brakes. They look somewhat like 280z front caliper with the square pads. Says it gets rid of difficult to find stock calipers but what happens when you need pads for these????

That's what I asked in my message to them... but they've never gotten back to me. I may try to call them later today. Also why I was confused about the stated 75-79 years.

a18afae8582f779a3179d1f944463ba8_600x.jp

I'm not saying these won't work, just never heard of it. If 280z then they will fit a non vented caliper like the 620. What 620 owners usually do is swap to 83 and up 720 hubs with the larger caliper, larger pads and larger vented rotor for the win.

I have seen early Toyota 4x4 4 piston calipers put on the early Z car. They fit because Toyota and Nissan used the same manufacturer of brake parts. This is also why a Subaru R-160 differential will bolt right into the 510. If A=B and B=C then A=C. From '86? up they are vented rotor so has to be the earlier caliper. I did a SASA on my 620 using this earlier axle and rebuilt the four piston calipers. The breaks worked VERY well even though the truck had grown to 3,500 pounds.

brakes4.jpg

http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/Calipers/toyotaCalipers.html

Good info. And like you're saying Mike, if those are the 240/280z calipers then the Toyota calipers should be a direct bolt on to the 620 as well?! That's a whole lot easier than swapping the D21 stuff.

As an FYI, this is the response I received from them... not sure if that means the 70-78 z car calipers are what they're using or not... anyone ever tried that before?

"This part is only available on our ebay store. It will bolt in using the existing rotor. The stock 620 pads will work, or 70-78 240Z/280Z pads."

Description of their "Front Big Brake Caliper Upgrade Toyota 4 Piston Kit" on their website and like you said, if a=b, b=c then a=c:

"Front brake caliper upgrade kit. This kit uses Toyota 4 piston calipers that are a direct bolt on to your Datsun 240Z, 260Z and 280Z, 1970-78. This are four piston calipers. Kit comes with right and left calipers, brake hoses and pads. These calipers will work with your stock size brake rotors."

9 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Well we have confirmed that if A=B and B=C then A=C. This is something new for 620 owners that want to upgrade their truck's braking. When will you try them out?????

Probably be a bit yet... hoping for a couple months  just going back together after stripping to the frame. Build is in the projects forum SVO-620 Build

49855051727_a2221a39cb_c.jpg

Edited by Idaho Hillbilly