83 720 24z with completely removed computer!

1983nissan720

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean the little ECU box under the driver's seat for the ECC (electronically controlled carburetor) ???

First, find the electrical connector at the rear right of the carburetor. Does it have 2 -3 wires? or is it a larger round 6 wire plug??? The reason I ask is because over the years another engine and carburetor may have been installed.

• Like 2

OK

I'm trying to find out if you have the correct carburetor. This may have been changed and a replacement 'computer' would be a waste of time.

Is this the carburetor that you have??? Note the round electrical connector at the back and the black plastic part on the front with the two philips screws and the two wires into the front.

8-BB10-AAB-2-AC0-4-E16-B247-B0-E2-ABE6-F

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know the Z24 has the ECC for California trucks. It's a feedback carb that uses an O2 sensor and other things to adjust a solenoid to vary the primary jet size to correct for an exact fuel mix. Not finding it on the Z22 engine. Maybe yours was a Z24 and a Z22 engine was put in.

What is the build date on the driver's door jam say????

• Like 1

Only 4x4s have the dual AIS (air injection system) tubes.

So there is a round 6 pin connector?

What makes you think something is missing under the front seat?

Did you say Z22 is on the back of the round choke heater?

Yeah a picture would really help.

• Like 1

Too much conflicting info. Not at all your fault. Lots of things can be altered over 37 years. Engine may have been swapped.

Look between the two pair of exhaust manifold pipes under plugs 2 and 3 for the engine ID. What's it say???

Q9xYbRS.jpg

• Like 1

The missing one is for the air conditioner. No air con.... no fuse.

Speaking of fuses did you check the first one has power on both sides of it? This is the power source for the exhaust coil.

Is the plastic plug at rear of the carb round, like that picture?

If there was a missing 'computer' under the driver's seat there will be a large plug for it laying there.

• Like 1

I'm trying to diagnose without much to go on and few pictures.

It's a Z24 so MAY have had the ECC carburetor with the ECU (computer). Still haven't told me if you have an O2 sensor in the exhaust and a good picture of the carburetor you have now would help. 

If the ECC carburetor was removed and replaced (with what appears to be one from a Z22) then replacing the ECU would be a waste of time.

• Like 2