Winter time blues

canon3383

I know this has been brought up before but I'd like to get my ducks in a row. With my truck being cold blooded prepping for winter had been on the back burner, I'm changing the oil this weekend and ran Shell Rotella T4 15w40 all summer and the truck ran great, now not so good until its warmed up. Something was said about NOT running Synthetic in the 2.4L, I saw Rotella has a

Shell Rotella® T5 Ultra 10W-30 Synthetic Blend and would like to use it but I don't want oil leaking everywhere. Advice Please. All other fluids are -25 below.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't drive my L20B in the winter but one year I did and all the other times I would fire it up every month. Didn't notice any big problem starting down to 25F? The oil is only thick on the start and thins as it warms. Obviously thicker oil doesn't flow as well so thinner in the cold is better or a short warm up before putting a load on it. I have an oill temperature gauge and you'd be surprised how long it takes oil to warm up. I bet as it gets near zero it would turn over slower and slower. It never gets that cold here and I also have a Maxima 6 cylinder gear reduction starter. Your oil choice should be based on the lowest or highest temperatures you expect to see before the next oil change. 10w30 is probably the best overall weight. I run only in the late spring, summer and fall and rarely below 50F so thicker is ok. 

• Like 1