521 carb problems

Jef-fro

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Jef-fro said:

Hey while I’m asking my new voltage reg just started making a clicking sound that you can here from inside the cab while driving.it did not start making this sound until the heater fan motor got turned on for the first time in 25 years 

The added draw. You may notice the lights will dim at stop lights and if the heater is also on and you signal a turn the lights will also pulse slightly. This usually goes away as you drive off. If this bothers you or you would like to run an amplifier there are several high(er) amperage alternator swaps that also have an internal solid state regulator in them. And the truck can easily be converted to remove the mechanical regulator and use these... just sayin'. 

• Like 1

As long as it keeps the battery charged it's ok, but things have come a long way in 50 years. 100 amp alternators are common now... that's 3 times what yours makes and there is no failure prone mechanical regulator. I have a 100 amp alternator in my 710 and the heater blows like a tornado at idle and the wipers don't slow down at night when stopped with the lights on.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jef-fro said:

What alternator would I need for a 521 

Datsun cars after '77 all have internal regulators and minimum 50 amp output. KA and VG powered Hardbodys are 80 and already have a V pulley rather than the 240sx which has the wide multi groove pulley. (although your V belt pulley will swap on) Even 50 amp is a vast improvement.

110-145 amp Nissan alternators...

http://nissannut.com/projects/alt_upgrade/

• Like 1