Sander and cowl question

izzo

first, is the cowl sealed on on the 1980 720's. I dont see any screws for it. And it just flops around under the window. But the part towards the firewall is solid and i dont see any screws.

Also, I looked thru the forums and even checked around online. Looks like DA Sanders, some people prefer them, some dont. Most things i read said its ok just be careful around the edges, is that because if you catch the bodyline it will take a chunk out?

Someone told me once to use aircraft remover. It worked ok but took a shitload and seems to cost more then worth it.

I have a few wire wheels, is it ok to use those to get the paint down to thin layers or all the way down to metal??

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A d/a will work fine.you just need to keep it moving.i stripped a roadster with the aircraft remover. it works great if you follow the directions(brush in 1 direction and dont go over the same wet spot twice). it took a gallon to do the whole car.It does take awhile but no dust. i prefer hand sanding over power tools thats why i used the stripper and hand sanded the tuff areas.Do you have an air compressor??If you do and it can keep up get some air tools

Sounds good. Dont have an air compressor, in laws where i will be at in seaside have a little one. Not sure how well it will keep up.

With the DA sander, is that so you dont sand down the metal? And with the air craft remover, did you just use a plastic scraper? I did this on my courier and man what a pain LOL. I will give it a shot. I have a paint theme i want to do for the truck, itll be rattle can but should look alright once done.