Tech question regarding hotspark HIT4 points conversion ei distributor

Spiritspeaks

I have a 1980 Datsun 720 4x4 that came stock with the ei matchbox dizzy. I sent the dizzy to be rebuilt by the guys through rock auto. They returned it stating that it is un-rebuildable. I have a hot spark HIT4 dizzy, which I installed with the proper coil, new plugs and plug wires. I am getting spark to the dizzy, but no spark from dizzy to plugs. Do I need to install a gm hei remote ignition module to make it work? Please help, I have been trying to remedy this situation for over a year. Needless to say I am losing my patience.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You get the EI distributor back???  What's wrong with it? If it still works run it rather than some Chinese 'Hot spark' thing.

You have spark to the distributor from the coil??? Then the rotor should point the spark to the wires on the top of the cap. Probably the distributor is just pointing the wrong way.

Find TDC on the compression stroke on the number one cylinder. When close, use the notch on the crankshaft pulley and align with the timing scale (zero) on the timing chain cover, below the alternator. Now look at the rotor under the distributor cap. It should be pointing to the number one spark plug wire above it. Does it????

I hate having to work with anything less than the stock equipment. Can you post some pictures of this thing???

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

This is an easy fix. Set the engine to TDC. Remove the distributor and unbolt the oil pump and drop it out. Expect some oil dripping. Between the oil pump and the distributor is a drive spindle that is driven by a worm gear on the crankshaft. The spindle is keyed to fit the distributor in only one position so it you turn the spindle and install, the distributor will be also turned into a new position. Put the spindle into the oil pump, turn it and bolt back in... just use one bolt for now in case you have to remove and try again. Test fit the distributor. Is the rotor now positioned under any of the four plug wires on the cap? If not,, drop the oil pump and spindle and turn some more. This is trial and error and only you can see what or how much you need to turn it. When you get the rotor under a plug wire, finish bolting the oil pump in properly. The plug wire that the rotor is pointing to is now the number one plug wire so remove the #1 plug wire and place it there then arrange the other wires in this firing order 1, 3, 4, 2 in a counter clockwise direction. The engine is now roughly timed to fire #1 at TDC. The exact timing for an L20B is 12 degrees BTDC so get a timing light and loosen the distributor timing hold down screw and twist the case to set it. Turning the distributor clockwise advances the timing, counter clockwise retards it. 

• Like 1