81 720. Throttle stuck

jltucker81

Does anyone have experience with a 1981 720?    It has a brand new, stock carburetor, other day throttle stuck wide open on freeway, i thought it was the cable, i was wrong. I've messed with everything i can, I've done research, i'm hoping this is something common and simple, any input would be much appreciated...

• Like 1
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to find a real new stock carburetor these days. They would be around $860 at the Nissan dealer. What you have is probably a 're-conditioned' carburetor which has been rebuilt with who knows what quality parts and labor.

I guess you managed to get it to close and got home?

With the engine off floor it from inside the cab. Can you get it to jam again???

If cable not adjusted right you may over extend and bend things.

Does it catch on anything? Is the carpet in the way?

Watch the linkage with the air filter out of the way. Anything binding?

I've had an accelerator pump piston jam in the cylinder and not return.

• Like 1

The carb came from ebay, Maybe from china or something.   We towed it home, I've got the air cleaner off and the cable completely slack, still winds straight out when started, I've been through the haynes manual, no luck there, the next thing i plan to do is go through replacing vaccum lines.  How can i check the accelerator pump? Would that cause it to stay tached out?

• Like 1

New carb but may have been sitting on the shelf for a while. Lube dries out and becomes anti lube "sticky". Use WD 40 to loosen things up. Soak anything that moves and move it. Once things are free and moving time to use an actual spray lube "WD 40 evaporates". I use corrosion block or boeshield but it is extremely expensive so someone on here may be able to recommend something cheaper. Good luck and the stuck throttle can be scary.

• Like 2

That's what I'm thinking too, but nothing i do frees it up..   I'm gonna take the carb off so i can really check it out, i just got twelve feet of vacuum line, gonna go through them in the morning before i remove the carb..   Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated..

• Like 1

Well i found the problem and I'm just confused, i don't get it...

The adjustment screw for the fast idle cam was completely tightened, if it were to be tightened any more it would fall out the other side...  How is it possible that it ran fine for months and all of a sudden this happens..  Makes no sense at all, couldn't have vibrated tighter, it's difficult to turn...  Wtf?  Some kind of magic involved...bahahahaha

• Like 1

1/ Would be the ignition timing set too advanced. Should be 12 BTDC on an L20B. Try 11 but not much less than this. It should run at 12 so look for another cause first.

2/ Wrong spark plug with wrong heat range. Use only NGK plugs..BP6ES11 should be the same as the '78, but if you find another number from an '80 FSM definitely go with it.

3/ Engine is slightly over heated. Gauge should be at or a hair above the halfway point in the 'run range'.

4/ Poor octane gas. If the timing and temperature are right it should run well on the cheap stuff. Try a different brand than your usual.

5/ Combustion chambers sooted up with carbon from running with the choke on too much or choke not shutting off fully. Could be the carburetor is flooding causing an over rich mix. Take for a drive and let er go a bit. Engines are self cleaning if given the chance.

If you want to tip I'm sure Jeff (Icehouse on Ratsun) wouldn't turn down a donation to Ratsun... https://ratsun.net/profile/3-icehouse/

Contact him by Private Message and set something up

• Like 1

No. Join a picture hosting site like imgur (free but you can pay for extras) or there are many others but I do not recommend photobucket. Take your picture there for storage. When you want to post it here, go there and copy the picture information and bring it here and paste it. This is very abbreviated.

• Like 2