Parking Brake Cable Information

Spawn

I've been trying to find some information regarding the OEM parking brake cables here on Ratsun, but haven't managed to find the information yet, so I'm hoping that this thread will be a good source for info in the future.

I have been trying to source replacement cables from a variety of places and know that there are at least a couple of different setups depending on if you have a short bed or a long bed truck.  I would also hazard to guess that the cable setup for the long bed truck may be used for a short bed king cab truck?  I don't know/believe that there was a long bed king cab model, but could be wrong.

With that being said, I have been finding a lot of differing information from various sources.  Here is what I have found so far:

Dorman products listed three cables:

Front cable C93156 is listed as a direct replacement for OEM #36451-B5000 or 36451-B8000 and is listed for 1974-1979 620s with the following specs:

Cable Jacket Material: Rubber
Cable Length: 71.65 In.
Color/Finish: Black
Conduit Length: 54.68 In.
Installation Hardware Included: No
Package Contents: Brake Cable
Package Quantity: 1
Packaging Type: Box
Universal Or Specific Fit: Specific

Rear Left; Short Bed C93263 is listed as a direct replacement for OEM #36500-B8900 which is listed for 1975-1977 620s with the following specs:

Cable Length: 65.98 In.
Conduit Length: 57.28 In.

Rear Right; Long Bed C93296 is listed as a direct replacement for OEM #36500-B8901 which is listed for 1975-1977 620s with the following specs:

Cable Length: 65.91 In.
Conduit Length: 55.91 In.

What I find interesting is that the short bed and long bed cables listed are almost identical in cable length at 65.98" vs 65.91" respectively.  The only thing that really seems to be different is the fact that the conduit lengths are different by about 1.37".  Is there anyone on here who can confirm the actual lengths of the cables for both the short bed and long bed trucks?  Did all of the trucks use the exact same front cable?

I did order a parking brake cable set from eBay (which of course came from a seller in Thailand), however, the cables that came in were all too short to fit.  When the part numbers on the bags were checked, only the Rear Left and Rear Right had part numbers on them, but those numbers don't match what Dorman lists as OEM numbers.  The ones I received were 36510-B5300 (Rear Left) and 36500-B5300 (Rear Right).  I am currently trying to find out from the seller if these were the part numbers for the long or short bed truck, as he told me before I made the purchase that he would ensure he sent the parts for the long bed model.

I have also found other sellers on eBay (again they all appear to be from Thailand) that list having a long bed cable set (5 hook trucks) but the numbers that they show on their listing are 36400-B5200 (Front), 36500-B5300 (Rear RIght) and 36510-B5300 (Rear Left).  None of those numbers match up with what I found from Dorman, so I'm wondering if anyone might have some way to look up these numbers from a parts manual or something and see what all of these different OEM part numbers actually are meant for.

I also tried contacting Centric (APC Automotive Technologies) and Raybestos (Brake Parts Inc) but have only gotten a response back from Raybestos stating that they only list a BC93296 part number for the Rear Right on a long bed truck (which is almost identical to Dorman's part number of C93296 😲) and both the BC93163 (Rear Right: Short Bed) and BC93263 (Rear Left: Short Bed [which is also almost identical to Dorman's C93263]).

Does anyone know of any other replacement part sources that may have all three cables still available for a long bed 1977 Datsun 620?  At this point, it's looking like I might have to get some custom cables made if I can't source replacements.

My apologies for the length of the post, but I know that there are many knowledgeable people on here who also have resources available to them that a lot of us don't have, so hopefully all of the different OEM numbers can be decoded to determine what they are actually meant for, and if possible can also list what the true OEM replacement numbers should be for each model.

Edited by Spawn
  • Like 1
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 1978 620 long wheelbase that I used for parts. The rear parking brake cables that I took off it are the same length each side. I compared the cables to a 1982 long wheelbase that I have, and they are different. The 1982 has different lengths for the left and right sides. I am short on time right now so I don't have time to measure the cables for the 1978, but later today I will get the lengths.

Don

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 620slodat said:

I have a 1978 620 long wheelbase that I used for parts. The rear parking brake cables that I took off it are the same length each side. I compared the cables to a 1982 long wheelbase that I have, and they are different. The 1982 has different lengths for the left and right sides. I am short on time right now so I don't have time to measure the cables for the 1978, but later today I will get the lengths.

Don

Thanks Don!  Knowing that the majority of all of the 620's were pretty much identical for the model (short bed, long bed, king cab) I'm thinking that if both cables are the same length and are actually assembled the same way, then that may explain why Dorman only lists one side for each bed length.  If this is the case, then I could probably just get two of the same cable to cover each side of the setup.

• Like 1

I got back home about  an hour ago, and went out and double checked what I saw this morning. When I took the cables off the rear end I never marked them for right or left side (making a trailer out of the bed and back half of the frame plus using cab and under hood parts for other things).

Both cable sheath's were about 1/4 inch from being the same length. And the cables were also within 1/4 inch of being the same. However, the longer sheath had the shorter cable, and vice-versa. Both cables and sheaths were almost identical in looks. The only difference I could detect was in the end that would have been attached to the frame, not the rear axle. That difference was in how the rubber bellows protecting the cable might have been attached. The remnants of the bellows was on one cable, while the other was completely gone. The biggest difference might have been because one might have been newer than the other, but I'm not sure. The possibility of being manufactured at two different times, and maybe being manufactured by two different plants, could explain the slightly different lengths.

Going by what I saw I think that one cable could indeed be used for either side like you surmised. By the way, for those that are not involved in these measurements this is for a long wheelbase frame. The pickup was a King Cab and standard bed. From what I understand the frame is the same length whether it is a standard cab and long bed, or a King Cab and standard bed.

Don

Edited by 620slodat
  • Like 3

Don,

Do you happen to have the actual length of the cables that you measured?  Can anyone else confirm that the setup is the same for a standard cab with long bed and a king cab with standard bed?

• Like 1

I went out and measured them and got these dimensions: OEM sheath 56  15/16ths inch, OEM cable 66  5/8ths inch; aftermarket sheath 57  7/16ths inch, aftermarket cable 66  11/16ths inch. There were two swagged knobs on the brake end of both cables. I measured to the inside edge of the farthest one, which was about 1  3/16ths inch beyond the first swagged knob. A difference in sheaths of 1/2 inch and cables of 1/16th inch.

I'm calling OEM the one that has remnants of a rubber bellows that protect the cable from moisture and dirt because of the way that the bellows attached to the steel end on the sheath. The bellows attached with a ring (like an O-ring) molded into the interior of the outer portion slipped over the metal end of the sheath as part of the outer rubber. The aftermarket bellows did not have the O-ring molded into the interior. It was held onto the metal end of the sheath just by friction.  

The sheath was measured from the backing plate mounting surface to the other end where the metal end of the sheath touched the frame. The cable was measured from inside the swagged end (that pulled on the brake mechanism) on the end of the cable) to inside the other matching swagged end. As noted above, there is about 1  3/16ths inch between the swagged knobs on the brake end of the cable.

The cable lengths were within 1 inch longer (at the longest swagged knob) on my cables to 1/4 inch shorter if measured from the inner knob than you listed above. Depending on whether you look at the specs for the standard bed or the long bed the sheath lengths are 1 inch, or less, different in length. 

From these dimensions listed I surmised that the cables for the rear probably will fit your pickup. I think there is enough adjustment in the e-brake system to allow for these length differences. (by the way, I spent almost 40 years working with cabinets so measuring accurately is in my blood)

• Like 2

Thanks again Don!  I was looking at the Dorman cables listed on their website as replacements and was wondering from their images if this may not happen to be what you were talking about.  I'm wondering if back in the day all of the cables may have had these rubber bellows to try and keep the cables as clean and dry as possible to extend their longevity?  It doesn't seem as though the replacements for either side have the rubber sleeve on them, only the main cable coming from the cab.

The Front cable (C93156):

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-44281-c93156.aspx?year=1977&make=Nissan&model=620&parttype=Cable%20-%20Parking%20Brake

This looks in the pictures like it has the rubber bellows sleeve on the cable attached to the bracket.

The Rear Right: Long Bed cable (C93296):

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-31482-c93296.aspx?year=1977&make=Nissan&model=620&parttype=Cable%20-%20Parking%20Brake

It looks as though this cable has similar ends on each end of it.

The Rear Left: Short Bed Cable (C93263):

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-18930-c93263.aspx?year=1977&make=Nissan&model=620&parttype=Cable%20-%20Parking%20Brake

Interestingly, this cable appears to have a spring around one end of the cable, while the other end has some sort of spacer clip?

Unfortunately, with me being in Austin, TX working for a couple more weeks, I'm not able to go out and see how things are setup on my truck (I've got it at a shop back at home waiting to do the work on it once I get everything figured out and can get the correct parts).  I greatly appreciate the help you've been able to provide in trying to get this all sorted out.

Edited by Spawn
  • Like 1

I found it interesting what the pic showed for the front cable. I will have to crawl under Dads 1973 standard cab short bed to see what I can see the "trolley" and how it hooks to the rear cable. I wonder if the system used there is the same as used on the 1978 King Cab. I don't remember what the 1978 used there. It may have been gone when I first saw it in the pick-n-pull. The cable shown in your link #2 has the same style metal end on the right end of the sheath as the one I have that has remnants of the bellows on it. None of the links shows the strain relief that both of my cables have. Both of my cables have a strain relief (like is used on power tool electric cords where the cord goes into the tool handle) where the sheath goes into the backing plate. I've got to go now, but thanks for the three links. I found what each showed to be very interesting.

Don

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Well, I'm now in a bit of a pickle. I am in need of the front parking brake cable with the bracket for the rear cables to attach onto. I'm hoping that someone on here may happen to have a spare cable lying around or maybe a parts truck that has a good cable on it that could be pulled?

Thanks in advance to anyone that happens to have a front cable that's in good condition and is willing to part with it!

• Like 1

I'm guessing from the lack of a response that nobody happens to have a spare front parking brake cable and bracket off of a parts truck or laying around that I would be able to get from them.  I was really thinking/hoping that someone in the drier areas of the country where there generally tends to be a lot less rust might have something.  I suppose it's time to come up with plan B.

I've still got a bit of time before this needs to be done, so hopefully someone will reply sooner rather than later.  If someone does happen to have something, you can also just message me directly through here.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Lots of info here for a new cable. But can't you just take your old cable to a cable shop and have a new one made? You will be sure it fits and saves the trouble of spending hours on the internet gathering measurements.

• Like 1

It would be possible if there were any shops near me that actually did cable manufacturing.  None of the shops that I've spoken to have the ability to manufacture a new cable or know of any place that does.

On the plus side, the shop that I took the truck to spent a little extra time and managed to get the front cable un-seized and adjusted, so I'm back in business with having a functional parking brake, but who knows how long it is going to last for.  I'm still hoping that someone might happen to have a replacement front cable that I can get from them just to be prepared for when the front cable finally decides to fail on me.

• 4 years later...

I have a 1978 620 Datsun and I'm trying to locate the correct size clevis pin for the handbrake system.

Mine is missing and I'd like to replace it with something from home Depot or online.

Can anyone help me know what exact size by diameter and length please?